• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shigefusa 270mm Kitaji gyuto - limited time offer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin0505

Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like my turn on JWW's wait list for the 270 kitaji (damascus) gyuto finally came up, but the thing is, in the 2+ years I was on the wait list I acquired a custom-handled and saya'd one from Marko (one of the last ones he did). I kept my spot on the wait list because you never know what might happen in life and I never wanted to be without a shig kitaji gyuto. Well, the time has come that I must either drop off the list... OR there's another option:

I'd be willing to give my spot to someone else on the forum. If JWW won't allow me to transfer my spot in the wait list, I'd be willing to play middle man and do the purchase / have it shipped to someone else.
I just thought I'd support the forum family and give someone on here a chance to own one right now before I pass on my turn and let it go out to the wider world.

The current price is $797 I'm not sure if that includes shipping.
link: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=04.011.2702&dept_id=13192
04.011.2102.jpg
DON'T try to purchase on their site, it looks like it's available, but it's not I've heard that ordering will lead to a mess and a canceled charge on your card.

One last curve ball that I'll throw into the equation is that I'd also be willing to part with my Marko Shig... it's one of the most special-to-me knives that I own, so the only thing prompting this offer is that
A) I'm tired and a bit loopy
B) I feel a bit selfish hoarding such a work of art. I know how long I lusted after one and how happy I was when I finally got it, and I'd like to do that for someone else. Big kitaji shig's are rare and Marko-handled ones are rarer, but they are both treasures of the kitchen knife world that I wish more people could experience...
C) I'd be OK keeping the new one with stock handle and later turning it into another re-handle project.

I can't remember exactly what I paid for mine when it was all said and done, but I know it was more than the new one from JKI... I'll pass it on for $1K if anyone is interested. Specs and photos available on request to interested knuts. (PM me).

If I don't hear from anyone by EOD tomorrow (Thursday 5/31), I'm calling and canceling my order / giving up my spot.

***UPDATE***
I just shot some pictures of mine and they are uploading now. When done (there are 11), you can go the the linked gallery to view them:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117600618285187025883/MarkoShige?authuser=0&feat=directlink
IMG_0105.jpg

As stated before, it's a 270 w/ Marko handle. The handle is old lingum vitae (which as a google search will tell you, is a very interesting wood). It's a very subtle and understated wood and as I've owned it it's continued to turn a darker shade of green. Spacer is nickle silver (cant remember exact dimensions, but I think 2mm), and ferrule is even, black water buff horn.

Blade has only been fully sharpened a couple times (by myself and finished on natural stones), but has mostly been maintained by stropping (responds very well to diamond loaded horse hide) and an occasional trailing kiss or 2 across a natural finishing stone. I loaned it to a Michael Rader (a master smith) because he had never examined one and he removed a few very small (pin sided) rust spots (happened when it sat in the saya on a really humid day) he refinished it and did a darker etch on the Damascus which, IMO was better than factory and completely solved the famous Shig reactivity problem. Since then, it's slowly built a nice, natural, colorful patina that I really like (but can certainly be removed).

However, when photographing the knife, I made a slightly sad discovery: there's some very slight damage to the rear underside of the handle: I have no idea what cause it or when it happened , the knife has never been dropped or abused, but I guess $H17 happens to tools when you use them. It's very minute: affected area is just a few mm, and appears to be totally superficial, but it means that the handle is not totally perfect / like new.

Also, I forgot b/c I never use it, but the saya does not stay on very well, it put some silicon in the saya to potect the edge when i do use it and prevent any rattle. It was given to me basically as a freebee as a thanks for my patients with a few delivery date delays, and I only use saya's for transport, so it was never that big of an issue.

JWW got two in, I'm third on the list according to Elaine....

Trading shig futures; interesting concept, I love it - feel free to cancel the order if you want, I'd be happy to go with the purchase.

What are you trying to say? That I would ask her out just to get my hands on a Shig?

I think it was a funny conversation with her yesterday. She wanted to know how come she tells one guy that some shigs came in and people from all over the world start calling her within minutes, including Denmark. I said I could probably tell her who that was, and explained the forum.

BTW, I blame you for getting me started an Shigs.

Cool Seth! I'm glad that it will go to you if I cancel... that was my main concern. -I thought it would be a bummer if I canceled it and it went out to some anonymous collector when there are plenty of knuts here that have been waiting years for one (like I once was).

The reason for offering to sell mine was just to give someone a chance to try out a Marko handle and have a non-reactive ready-to-go-to-work shig out of the box.
One guy did PM me before your post about buying mine: if that goes though, I will by the one from JWW (and apologize to you). If not, I will cancel my order and let you know so you can call your new girlfriend at JWW :)

Believe me when I tell you that there is no need to apologize to Seth or feel any sympathy for him whatsoever (at least when it comes to his knife collection). ;)

Good luck with your sale/new acquisition Justin.

Well, you can feel sympathies for some reasons but not for Shigs.

Justin - no need to apologize; at least I know I am first up next time around.

You guys crack me up!

Denmark huh!

Hey at least it kept within the forum.

Freaking sweet pattern on the thumb side of the marko-handled one!
20120301-IMG_0093.jpg
Yeah, it's probably my favorite part of the pattern. I haven't really captured it on camera yet, but it's developing a blue in some parts, yellow-green in others iridescence to it and the bolder section kinda reminds me of a peacock feather. Staring at patina'd Damascus is kinda like looking at clouds or fire...

Anyway, end of the day is coming up and I havent heard back from the interested buyer, so I'm going to call Seth's new lady friend and hand over my spot in line.
In the end, I'm happy with the way that this worked out. Congrats on the new knife Seth!

I guess we can call this sale/trade/shige swap closed, thanks for looking!

I know you will be happy keeping that...it looks awesome!

This is too funny, one of those 270s is mine on the list, but I had gotten my Shig elsewhere since going on the list. My chef grabbed that one hehe. I don't usually post, but figured I'd let you know that I guess all those Shigs are on the board.

Latest posts

Back