Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ouch!

Generally speaking, one should pay one's debts, however they are incurred. I recall that while gambling debts were not legally collectible, the trick was not to let someone lose more than they could realistically be expected to pay. Then, after a long night, you would take the loser to breakfast, on the way to his bank. Non-payment was not an option.

Even in the real world, if you don't pay your debts, bad things can happen; i.e., no one will give you stuff on credit anymore, or you lose your house. But that is all easily foreseeable. People who borrow lots of money at exorbitant rates are essentially gamblers. Most gamblers don't have a lot of sense, but they have high hopes.

What kills me is the way banks throw money at some people. My next door neighbor walked away from his house on a short sale and went directly to a new house with another mortgage. Banks should have kicked him to the curb.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

^^ I don't think that is very common. Maybe he got a new mortgae before the short sale went through? I knew a few loan officers, and it is unbelieveable how hard it is to get loans approved these days, even for people with plenty of money to put down and great credit.

The article forgot to mention how him starting culinary school piqued his interest in high end kitchen knives and soon his addiction for boutique cutlery caused him to stop paying his bills and loans.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The guy should have to struggle if he decided to drop out, pay a Scrooge McDuck amount of cash to go to sauce college, then only work one part time job. Thats called acting like a dumbass.

But struggling to make ends meet because you are crippled in a freak accident and CAN'T work? Thats called "undue hardship".

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    The guy should have to struggle if he decided to drop out, pay a Scrooge McDuck amount of cash to go to sauce college, then only work one part time job. Thats called acting like a dumbass.

But struggling to make ends meet because you are crippled in a freak accident and CAN'T work? Thats called "undue hardship".
    Look at Eamon pulling out his legal terms.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    The article forgot to mention how him starting culinary school piqued his interest in high end kitchen knives and soon his addiction for boutique cutlery caused him to stop paying his bills and loans.
    Hey, thats job equipment!

Three $50k loans:
    1. Pierre Francois' Parisian Institut Gastronomiq
    2. The lifestyle he's grown accustomed to
    3. Kramer

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    The only good thing about being older is that a college degree cost the same as four good knives. The bad thing is watching my daughter rack up 50K/year. At least she will be a doctor when she is done. I already get valuable advice from her: she looked at an MRI and said "Dad, you are f%cked" I love my daughter!
    Man, anyone on this forum could have told you the same for the cost of 4 cold ones!