Davis Everything Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
As many of you already know, Mike and I collaborated on what started out as a neck knife, but quickly became a "Yard" or "Everything" knife.
My requests were simple and went something like this:

I need a knife that can have the crap kicked out of it, daily. It needs to be small enough to carry around with me if I'm in the shop, yard or at a cottage, but it needs to be tough. And I mean freakin' tough. Oh yeah, it needs to be sharpenable, like a Japanese knife, with no finger guards or any of that other "durable knife crap". Don't bother polishing it up and feel free to keep some of the forge scale on it. I like Carters. I like red liners. I think you're a wicked maker. Have fun and try not to hurt yourself while making this, or it will be on my conscience.

What Mike came up with is exactly what I had hoped for, and was actually quite a bit different than I had originally envisioned. We were, at first, striving for a neck knife, and Mike actually came up with a great little guy to serve that purpose, but he wasn't happy with it. So, to my surprise, I was getting two knives out of this deal. One that would take a licking and another that can double as an EDC, minus the real deal handle. To be honest, the handle on the necker is pretty bad ass too, but back to the big guy.

Both knives are made out of 1084 (if I remember correctly) and hardened to around 60hrc. One of the best features is that I can keep them stupid sharp when I want to and it won't take a huge amount of effort to do so. BUT, when "dull", they can serve more normal, everyday tasks with ease.

On to the pictures:

dfc5cdf6.jpg

The top has a 98mm blade and the bottom has a 69mm blade.

485866eb.jpg

Sweet little blade, that can double for food prep when I'm caught in one of those situations.

6b8454a1.jpg

Not as big as you might think.

e6309eb1.jpg

This is what I'm talking about!

As you can see, I use my tools and knives hard. Especially when they were designed to be used hard, just like this guy, here. The scratches and dings that have already occurred are only the start of the character it is sure to develop.
Overall, I'm very impressed with this knife and I can only imagine how nice Mike's kitchen knives are. Soon enough, I'll find out, and when I do, I think I'll be impressed yet again.

Awesome! Glad it is working out for you. It was made with the intent of it being beaten, so please, let me know how well it holds up!!!

The little guy was a total experiment, but i have a few in the works right now, so stay tuned :)

It's pretty sweet, for sure!
Jack, why don't we just pool our cash together and get timeshare knives? We seem to have almost the exact same taste in knives.
Oh, I think Mike is contemplating "introducing" these. Ahem...spoiler. Ahem.

That would be really cool to see that carved design on the smaller one on say...a suji.

I dunno, man, that small one looks like it has some overgrinds...................

I always wondered how they sliced the potatoes for Ruffles.
Maybe a push dagger paring knife? Make it a necker too!

Hmmmm. I have a few ideas...maybe a few pics later today :D

I like the little one. When I first started reading this forum someone was talking about how to incorporate weave into handles (like on a 10 speed handle bars). Mike you hit the nail on the head here. Love what you did there.

I just sharpened the big one (stones, dirt, branches and cardboard take a toll on an edge) and it got wicked sharp in literally, and I mean literally, 1 minute. Beautiful!

Latest posts

Back