Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife-Friendly Cameras

haha... makes sense now. Yeah... the more money you spend, the more that is required of you skill wise, experience wise, and technique wise to get the most out of the photos... more expensive cameras actually take more work to get good photos (for the most part)... actually, knives are kind the the same in that sense

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    come hang out and talk cameras one day I love that stuff
    I have heard you talk about cameras. <= Me listening to you talk about cameras.

I see your camera stuff and I get scared. More scared than when I held your Tsukasa knives!!!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Ya, the wife's EOS 1D Mk 4 sits there and mocks me.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I just bought a new P&S though not knife specific. I have a 6 year old Canon Rebel DSLR. The XT I think. Could not live without it, does everything I want it to so I have no good reason to replace it. I think I paid 600 back then. The newest version T3 I think? was on sale last week here at Walmart for $500. In my non-expertise but 30+ years of photography experience, the Canon Rebel series is the best bang for the buck for the novice to intermediate user wanting to shoot a DSLR.

I need a pocket sized camera to complement the Rebel though. For a P&S, I had many people recommend Canon S- series and Panasonic. My requirement was it had to fit in my pocket. After a lot of research I went with the Canon SX260 and could not be happier. $299 from Amazon I think. I can fill you in on all my findings if you'd like or post the link from another forum where I had posed my questions seeking advise.

-AJ

AJ:

Thanks for the info. I'd really appreciate it if you could post the link. I noticed that the Canon SX260 got really good reviews.

I definitely don't think I need a DSLR. I think a micro 4/3rds would be the most I would EVER need. I hate lugging around a lot of things so I'd like to find a camera that is smaller, but takes great pictures.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

A decent light box set up will vastly improve results... regardless of camera.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    haha... makes sense now. Yeah... the more money you spend, the more that is required of you skill wise, experience wise, and technique wise to get the most out of the photos... more expensive cameras actually take more work to get good photos (for the most part)... actually, knives are kind the the same in that sense
    Well I'm not that inexperienced. For my stills I alternate between 2 reflectors and a white box for the subject food, or a soft box set up. The histograms come out spot on, or close to it. I've had pros come and shoot with the same set up and not change much.....yet at the end of the day all agree the photos don't excite....

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Namaxy View Post
    Well I'm not that inexperienced. For my stills I alternate between 2 reflectors and a white box for the subject food, or a soft box set up. The histograms come out spot on, or close to it. I've had pros come and shoot with the same set up and not change much.....yet at the end of the day all agree the photos don't excite....
    maybe you need to get into some zeiss glass :P

I have a nice camera setup, but I have been really surprised how good my iPhone takes pictures if things are lit properly.

On the other extreme, I had my knives shot in the photo studio recently for a magazine article I wrote. Ross, the studio photographer, was shooting with a 5D mark III on top a tall ladder to keep his reflection out of the knives. It comes out next week. I'll post some pictures of Ross on the ladder and the resulting pics when when it prints.