Quantcast
Secret Restaurant Cartel - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret Restaurant Cartel

Very interesting, Son. The Chinese restaurant cartel is government, I have no trouble at all believing it.

Infiltration by planted restaurateurs? That's a little farfetched. I can see this as a prepackaged thing by shady folks, sort of, but it would not make sense as an official government thing.
    Len

It isn't officially sanctioned by the Government, but they turn a blind eye so long as they get theirs, actually a lot of it falls under human smuggling practices, I can pretty much guaranty that there are a lot of government officials getting kick backs on the $50- 60,000 dollars a person has to pay to just to get smuggled into the US. I have lived for years with a Chinese family here in the city and they and all of their friends and family went through exactly the same thing. They pay the smuggler, the smuggler pays the government official, they receive their training and get smuggled into the states or are victims more often then not of indentured servitude. There are five or six Chinese work centers here in the city. They send out new immigrants to work as cooks and waiters by zip code, pay them pennies on the dollar to work 7 days a week for 15+ hour shifts and expect them to pay off their debt.It actually happens to Chinese all over the world even in Canada. I know from growing up in Asian communities( and being half asian) most of my life that this happens a lot and is not some farfetched idea, it isn't about infiltration of spies or terrorists, it is about big money. They own these people and abuse them. Not all Asian restaurants, but a lot of them are run this way. You are talking hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars world wide, that is an incentive to get your hands in the pie. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I know these people personally, dealt with them all my life and have been on the receiving end of a shake down more then once. I have witnessed the paying of protection money, the collection of passage debts and the violence associated with missed payments or trying to get out, when they aren't done with you yet. It is very real and damn scary.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Living in a border state, having worked with a lot of asian immigrants, and knowing a thing or two about the chinese government...that doesn't sound far fetched to me at all.

There's a place in Fords NJ called "Fresh Tortilla" which delivers both Mexican AND Chinese food! Mind. Asplode!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Yep, chino latino restaurants. I worked in Phoenix at a place called Spice restaurant and lounge and we served Cuban and Thai food. Most popular items ropa vieja with Thai spices and Thai paella.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

China is a hugely diverse country. Eating styles differ over geographic distances, and immigrants in various countries who have long established communities have created varying localised favs too.

I'm guessing in a decent chinese place I can order without the benefit of a menu and they would be able to sort out what I want. Bourdain had an episode where he ordered his usual (egg rolls, sweet and sour pork etc), and the chap he was with ordered his usual... and it was worlds apart. Same restaurant in america, just different perceptions and expectations.

Ah, now corruption, bribery, kickbacks and the involvement of organized crime I can certainly concur with There are many who are able to emigrate from China to elsewhere who either have government connections or paid a few hands along the way - and that's for legal, proper emigration/immigration. There certainly would be good business for criminal organizations to smuggle people out and make sure they're a continued source of income even once they get to wherever.

This would not be a government policy thing but one of individual officials along the way being greedy and corrupt.

Maybe the interest and penetration of the training-smuggling-extortion business is lower around the Toronto area. I don't see the cookie-cutter restaurants around here (if I don't count the food court stalls in malls), and I know both Hong Kongese and Mainlander restaurant owners.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    There's a place in Fords NJ called "Fresh Tortilla" which delivers both Mexican AND Chinese food! Mind. Asplode!
    Some of my wife's and my favorite early dates took place in a Chinese-owned, Hawaiian-themed, Italian and Sushi Restuarant.

It has since closed.

Echoing Chef Son... A lot of Vietnamese institutions are the same way. I know in Orange County (the California one) it's almost common knowledge some businesses are financed directly by the Vietnamese government or an official.

Another thing is old school Asian folks pool money together rather than get a bank loan. And no one is shy about copying what works. So thats how you see a lot of the same.
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?