Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee but not espresso

Coffee but not espresso

I didn't want to muddy the coffee gear thread.

I like coffee. I'm not a fiend and I've been living without it more lately than with it but I do like and enjoy it. I'm not really an espresso drinker. I don't really sip drinks and less than a 16 oz serving of something, coffee or rib eyes, seems pointless to me. If I go to a real coffee shop, I do order a cafe Americano as my favorite choice, especially if I can get them to do it with a long pull.

I currently buy fresh roasted coffee from a local roaster, so I got that going for me.

I have Kitchen Aid burr grinder and I use either a French Press or siphon pot (on weekends) and I weigh my beans out for each brew. I use 50g/L.

Soooo... are there any recommendations to step up my coffee experience? Espresso seems like such a PITA to me to make that unless it was automatic and I could quickly pump out 4 shots at a time I'm really not interested. Is there a different process or equipment I should explore?

Thanks,

-AJ

Moka pots make nice, strong Italian style coffees and they're super cheap. It also take a bit of skill to make a great cup, and I like that aspect. It leaves a bit of room for artistry, if you know what I mean.

Wait, is a siphon pot a Moka pot?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Get one of those really cool glass siphon pots, seem to be well liked. I want one, but I don't drink enough coffee to justify more coffee equipment.

I think Moka pot is a vac pot, not siphon pot. I am not quite sure though.

Water quality is very important. I would try using 55 or 60g/l for your press..

Lars

IMO, coffee is just murkied by fancy equipment. I like espresso and all, but my favorite beans go roast->grind->200F water->stir once->strain->drink.

Go low tech. Use a coffee sock. One pot at a time.

Krups Moka Brew: http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/qui.../krupsmokabrew

"Here's the real bottom line - it brews at near perfect temperatures, and the slight increase in atmospheric pressure (I'd put it at maybe 1.2BAR) creates a very unique cup. If you've never had moka pot coffee before, this will knock you over but bring you back for more. If you have had moka pot coffee before, this will be familiar but not quite. And if you enjoy americanos from your espresso machine, this brewer, in one of our tester's opinion, gives you that kind of taste and intensity without the need for a $400 machine.

CoffeeGeek recommends the Krups Moka Brew - definitely the first, and possibly the only Krups product we will recommend. For serious coffee aficionados, this will be a new type of taste and brewing for you that you will quickly learn to love. For coffee newbies and soccer moms it might frighten you off initially - the taste is intense - but you'll soon get used to it. Use quality, fresh roasted coffee that you grind when you brew, and this maker will knock those soccer kneepads right off."

It's a coffee-cult favorite that's no longer manufactured. I use one and have a back-up brand new in a box. Will trade for a suisin inox honyaki 240 suji.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Try a cold brew! Take 1lb of coffee and 1gal water, and let the coarsely ground coffee soak in the water for 12-24 hours. Strain and drink with ice (the resultant coffee will be *very* strong and with no bitterness.) It's drastically better than plain iced coffee, and my main move through the summer. Sipping on one now!

much more awesomer
    @Tristan: most of the Singapore kopitiam ("coffee shops", though they sell a lot more than coffee) still use "the sock" -- even the fancier chain places like Ya Kun Kaya Toast.

It is a bold cup, for sure, and really, really good for the price. I tried to buy a sock in April but nobody would sell me one. Maybe next month.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I have picked up a Moka pot so many times and put it down. Maybe this is the impetus I need to try one. I refuse to buy an aluminum one though and have been looking in stores for a stainless steel one. Too bad that Krups model is NLA.

-AJ