New to the forum and seeking ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamblerS4

Reaction score
Hey all!

Thought I would sign-up as I have a question.

I am looking at purchasing a chinese style cleaver (knife) and was hoping for some input. Let me give you some personal stuff first. I am a home cook. I already have a few japanese style knives already. I would like to get a chinese style cleaver and keep the purchase under $175. My thoughts are that I would only want 1 chinese style knife and it should be a good one. I have never owned a full carbon knife but am leaning towards the Suien VC or just going stainless and getting the Sugimoto Cleaver #30.

Am I limiting my suggestions or are there other good knives at this price point I should be considering?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike

Welcome! Many here have bought a CCK 1303. Inexpensive and people seem to love them, after that the sky is the limit. There are some definite cleaver fanatics here. You are in the right place.

One other question, is there a buy/sell/trade area to this forum?

I have not used the sugimoto, but really enjoyed using the Suien VC. Alot of people have commented on the amount of belly it has, but it felt right to me. It is reasonably thin, and retention ranks on par with the white steels.

If I wasn't going through all this moving stuff I'd get the CCK 1303 with the saya. Chicks would flock to my kitchen to check me out with it. And I'd have a buck left over.

Welcome!

I can only comment on the larger CCK...it is easy to sharpen and holds an edge rather nicely though the steel has an unusually cheap feel to it. Also, I wound up rounding mine to give it a bit of belly as I felt it was just a bit too flat for my use.

Cheers

Welcome! Always nice to have another Chinese cleaver guy here. What type of cleaver are you using now?

Welcome! Always nice to have another Chinese cleaver guy here. What type of cleaver are you using now?

I am now seeking my first cleaver.

I have a 4.3sun Funayuki from Carter (which needs a new handle), a 240mm suji from Kikuichi and a 105mm petty from Hattori and have sold off others including a Watanabe. I also have used Dave Martells sharpening services before and am glad to be back in touch with the knowledgeable.

I would like to say thanks to all who have welcomed me.

Thanks again,

Mike

Welcome! My dad owned a chinese restaurant for over 13 years in Houston and had the freaking sharpest cleavers I've ever touched. He could chop through half a chicken into 1-inch sections without it breaking form. That's all they use in the restaurant for everything. For home use I have a big heavy cleaver that I use as a bone-crusher and also lighter, thinner one for slicing and cutting, both of which were passed down to me so I don't know the brand. I guess it depends on if you are using it to chop thru bones and thick chunks of meat.

I am now seeking my first cleaver.

I have a 4.3sun Funayuki from Carter (which needs a new handle), a 240mm suji from Kikuichi and a 105mm petty from Hattori and have sold off others including a Watanabe. I also have used Dave Martells sharpening services before and am glad to be back in touch with the knowledgeable.

I would like to say thanks to all who have welcomed me.

Thanks again,

Mike

Welcome and enjoy the ride:wink:

Back