Quantcast
Can you recommend me a pizza recipe? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you recommend me a pizza recipe?

We had a pretty good thread on this a while ago, you might want to check it out: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-dough-recipes

I used and liked the government recipe SpikeC provided.

Late night pizza experiment -

First batch of No Knead Pizza Dough from Jim Lahey's most recent recipe on Serious Eats, salt increased (70% Hydration, 500 grams Trader Joe's AP Flour, 350 grams water, 1/4 tsp active yeast, 2 tsp salt - 24 hour room temperature rise, portioned, then an additional 3 days in the refrigerator), homemade tomato sauce (last year's home grown tomatoes, cooked whole in the skin, passed through a food mill and frozen, touch of salt, olive oil, black pepper and sugar to balance the high acidity in the sauce), Fra' Mani Sopressata and Angelo & Franco fresh mozzarella.

Name:  IMG_20120607_215027.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  8.4 KBName:  IMG_20120607_214818.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  14.9 KB

I heated up the pizza stone in a 500 degree oven on the second highest rack height, then turned on the broiler for 5 minutes to further heat the stone. Pizza cooked for approximately 8 minutes.

Stone needed to be heated a little more with the broiler, but a good tasting dough, could be a little more crunchy with a little more rise (a second batch with the stone heated for 10 minutes under the broiler had a better rise), but all in all, a good result. The mozzarella is not salty at all. The sopressata is excellent.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Yeah, that looks absolutely fantastic. I am going to have to go digging around for my pizza stone.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Try a generic recipe, like from cooks illustrated. Except substitute the yeast. Make a Italian red grape biga (starter). Grapes are a magnet for wild yeast, thats why they ferment into wine when you keave them out. Take some organic red grapes, mash them with flour and water. Feed for four days, no more, no less. You will have a the best thin crust pizza. Another tip is Proof for 36 hours, then there is no need for kneading.
    -Noah Cowan

The main improvement over most published recipes (In My Humble Opinion), is to mix standard white flour with semolina (in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio) and then, after letting the dough rise at room temperature for about an hour, refrigerate it over night or for up to 36 hours, in order to develop flavor. If you must use the dough right away then AVOID salt for the first rise and you'll get a much quicker and higher inflation. Add salt later to taste. This last tip comes from Cooks Illustrated. The first tip is well-known but can be found in one of the best books on baking from the King Arthur Flour Company--you can Google the company name and find the book.

hey you can checkout in you tube there are many pizza recipes like cabbage pizza and Mexican pizza

I am building a large, wood fired brick/stone oven. Recommended recipes?

The Dough
    5 cups unbleached bread flour (I use a locally ground, organic all-purpose)
    1 1/4 tsp. of active dry yeast
    2 tbs. olive oil
    1 3/4 cups water (room temperature) or warm beer!
    1 tbs. honey or sugar
    2 tsp. salt
    Makes 4 - 10 oz. balls

This is my go-to pizza dough recipe, swiped from Peter Reinhardt's "American Pie." I have used it in my oven on a kiln shelf at 550, on my grill at around 700, and in my wood burning oven at over 1000F. Mix it up until it feels right, cut in to 4 pieces, cloak them, roll each in a bowl with olive oil and bag them. Leave at room temp for 15 minutes then refrigerate for a day or 2 or freeze for later use. Hope this helps.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

pizzamaking.com has dough tools available that make it very easy to experiment with different recipes. also there are lots of recipes there and methods for making any style pizza you could want.
    I have found that a cold ferment of the dough of at least 24hrs and preferably 48hrs gives the best flavor in the dough.

If pizza base is ready then you just need to add stuff whichever you like with cheese and bake it your pizza will get ready within few min.

+ Reply to Thread