Confirmation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
Est, est, est!

beta3-1.jpg

beta2.jpg

beta3.jpg

That spacer is wicked, it almost looks like one of those Japanese wave paintings.

I thought you stopped buying knives?

Good thing you are still going. Looks great!

Dusting off the knife hand for a shakedown cruise.

[video=youtube_share;YxS9Baj0KT0]http://youtu.be/YxS9Baj0KT0[/video]

My jaw just dropped at about 1:35 into the clip, I never thought of trying that, holy cow Scott!

Looks like blue mammoth tooth very nice knife!

I guess Pierre does ok work... :D

First one of his knives I've tried. I'll be reporting my thoughts to Pierre.

2:40 i was like "no way"
2:55 i was like "waaaaaaaaay"

Always enjoyable Salty! - I'm glad to see that you're still at it.

Nice vid, Salty. I've missed them. :) Looks like it wasn't as sharp as some of the knife vids you've done before. Is that the steel or you?

2:40 i was like "no way"
2:55 i was like "waaaaaaaaay"

Always enjoyable Salty! - I'm glad to see that you're still at it.

Lol, right?

Fun trick.
Reminds me a bit of that crazy teppanyaki chef with the board guided slices.

Nice vid, Salty. I've missed them. :) Looks like it wasn't as sharp as some of the knife vids you've done before. Is that the steel or you?

True nuf. Sucker is hard as hell. Gave it the ususal with a little emphasis. It was laughing at the 400 chosera.

Showed the video to hubby, and he called it--TOMATO LIMBO!

How low can you go?

Been putting off ordering a custom Pierre, and it just keeps getting harder, my friend at work is getting a suji right now, it seems Pierre is taking over, Oh Canada. Great vid salty, if it laughs at the 400 sounds like it will take you a little bit to put a really scary sharp edge, I bet it holds about 80% long long time though. Any idea what steel that one is salty? I know Pierre dabbles in all types of stuff.

Just like old times. Great video as always, Salty. Thanks for sharing.

For now, all I will say the steel is a high carbon powder steel. It game out of HT at HRC 69, I drew it back to 64.5. It has flex, my limited testing says its tough, and doesn't seem to be prone to chipping. I asked Salty to give it a good run, and he was gracious enough to help me out. I didn't think he had tried any of my knives yet, so I figured I would get a fair, clean evaluation of the steel. I'll say this, it doesn't want to be polished at all! If I do end up using it again, and I repeat this transitional grind, I will have to rethink how to do it. Reactivity seems to be in line with O1. I expect edge retention to be very high. Down side to the steel, you will be sharpening it longer than other steels to refine the edge.

Thanks again Salty!

Amazing work, both of you!
I wonder how it compares to S35VN, or others on the stones. Salty, do you think it might be a diamond plate knife?

Great vid as always Salty. Love the knife too. I started out watching it like :doublethumbsup:, then:shocked:, then :curse:, then :eek2::scared1::tongue4::surrender2::IMOK:

So many sweet emotions going on there. I wonder how it would be trying to sharpen it at 69 hrc.:cry:

Pierre, Great looking knife. That spacer is just popping and very striking. Def. a functional piece of art.

Back