Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I buy thread?

What should I buy thread?

I've been looking for knives to expand my three knife collection. I got into nicer (nicer than what you'll find at home goods) knives when I bought a Ken Onion santoku that was on sale at Williams-Sonoma. Im pretty sure it's a 6 inch santoku and I've literally used it for everything since for a long time it was my only knife. Now I have a Shun Classic pairing knife and a no-name $28 sashimi knife from a local asian store.

I'm still relatively new to nice knives so forgive me if I've answered these questions incorrectly.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
    I think I want a 210mm or 240mm chef knife. I think this means I want a gyuto?

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
    Since my largest knife is a 6"santoku, I think it's time I got a bigger knife.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?

Aesthetics- Love the damascus steel look. Though on my next knife, I think I'd like the look of carbon steel with a patina. (I've been creeping through the pictures.
    Edge Quality/Retention- The shun is still sharp enough to dispatch tomatoes with ease though it's 2 years old and has never been sharpened. The edge does have noticeable imperfections and the side of the knife scratches easily.
    Ease of Use- The knife is absolutely not good for chopping. Slicing through a stack of veggies is easy enough and comfortable but I need something bigger.
    Comfort- The handle s ridiculously comfortable and I never get blisters or sore spots even after lots of cutting. No complaints here.

What grip do you use?
    Pinch.

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    The only one I can at the moment. Forward/backward slicing with the tip always in contact with the board.

Where do you store them?
    On my cutting board, since there's only three of them.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
    Nope. I did put some butchers block wax on the paka wood handles a few times though.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
    Boos Block.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
    I have a shun honing steel but I don't think I'm very good at even honing a knife.

Have they ever been sharpened?
    No, and they really need to be...ecept the paring knife, which has cut me just from accidentally coming in contact with the blade. I don't use that one often.

What is your budget?
    I'd like to stick to around $150 though cheaper is better. Cheaper means more knives

What do you cook and how often?
    I'd say I use my knives 6-10 times a week.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
    I don't really like heavy german knives.

I honestly really love my shuns but I feel like I need to branch out and explore the other brands out there. Which leads me to my problem. There are SO MANY other brands of knife and I have no idea how to find the best one for me or where to get them. I've been eyeing the misono and hiromoto knives, with a slight favor to the misono knives because they will develop a patina, while the hiromoto is protected with a stainless steel cladding.

Thanks for any help

Welcome! Yes a gyuto would be the knife. There are many threads here to read. Depending on where you live (currently unstated) you should be able to check some out in person. Length and western vs wa handle are two things to consider. From your description sounds like you have been looking at the misono dragon gyuto like the one here http://japanesechefsknife.com/SwedenSteelSeries.html
    and want a patina.
    Here is a good patina thread.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...highlight=Blue

Thanks! I've updated my profile to reflect my location; Maine, USA.

You're right, those are the misono knives I was looking at. Is that a good place to start? Are there other knives in the same price range I should consider or is that the best option for me?

That patina thread is where I discovered what a knife with patina looks like. They are amazing and I love the forced patina salty dog did.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...gyuto-81.html#

What about this knife? Here's my problem. There seem to be hundreds of brands and knife options. I have no idea which one to pick and which ones to stay away from.

Talking with Jon at the above web site would be a good start.
    Oh, and welcome to the Knut House!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Send him an email so I suppose we'll see what he says

welcome
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Welcome, you are in great hands here. Lots of good advice. Tons of great people.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by airplay355 View Post
    Send him an email so I suppose we'll see what he says
    Welcome! Just a note that you might do better to give Jon a call...I believe he will be able to give you better info without having to go back and forth on numerous emails...he is very helpful/knowledgeable. Oh, the only knives I would suggest avoiding are the Moritaka's unless you tend to be a gambling man

Yep, just call him. Jon will be very helpful and only carries quality knives. He will even steer you elsewhere if it is in your best interest. Give him a call.