steak knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamblerS4

Reaction score
I have been needing a good set of steak knives for a while. One would think this is an easy task but it's hard finding a decent knife that are somewhat reasonable in price. I have fallen into the category of non-serrated edges (for obvious reasons, ie: sharpening and second tearing of the meat).

I was wondering if the Zwilling J.A. Henckels® Pro Steak Knives at Sur La Table are worth purchasing I have also been looking at the Tojiro DP Steak Knives at CKtG.

Other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

laguiole steak knives are a treat and quite lovely.

Getting individual pettys also work. Or you can custom a set with one of the vendors here.

I have the Zwilling J.A. Henckels® Pro Steak Knives. Just OK in my opinion and need to be sharpened often. I also have the Laguiole steak knives. No comparison IMO. They are much nicer.

I haven't used them so I can't say how they perform, but I like the look of the Wusthof Ikon Blackwood steak knives from Willams Sonoma.

Personally, I don't worry about "tearing" meat with serrated knives that has already been cooked and is resting on my plate (as that means it is one second away from going in my mouth), but I see your point about wanting to be able to sharpen whatever you buy with ease (especially if they are relatively expensive).

And finally, welcome to the forum!

STEAK KNIVES

Published May 1, 2007. From Cook's Illustrated.

Which set of steak knives can really cut it?

Highly Recommended
Victorinox (formerly Victorinox Forschner) Rosewood Straight Edge Steak Knife Set
Closely resembling a paring knife, this straight-bladed tool sliced through steaks with exceptional ease.

$99.95 for a set of 6

Recommended
Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition Steak Knife Set
This previous winner still won points for sturdiness and a sharp blade, but this time testers were unwilling to pardon the coarse wooden handle.

$23.99 for a set of 4

Recommended with Reservations
Wüsthof Gourmet Steak Knife Set
Though this knife closely resembles the Cuisinart model, its construction was not nearly as solid, nor its blade as sharp.

$49.95 for a set of 4

Recommended with Reservations
Henckels Gourmet Hollow Edge Steak Knife Set
Unnecessary hollow edges were no justification for this skimpy knife’s steep price tag.

$69.95 for a set of 4

Not Recommended
Messermeister Four Seasons Steak Knife Set
Though its plastic grip was sturdy and comfortable, the tiny teeth on the top half of the blade struggled to gnaw through the meat.

$39.00 for a set of 4

Not Recommended
Sabatier Laguiole Steak Knife Set
Testers commented on the sexiness of this slender knife, but its looks hardly made up for its dull-toothed blade and scrawny handle.

$29.00 for a set of 6

We have a set of Quikut stainless that my wife's father gave her when she was a young lass. A pass to two on a steel and they are ready to rock! The cream colored opalescent plastic handles are classic!

I'm fond of classic Laguiole. The set we have is olive wood - bought in France many years ago. Sadly - like Sabatier there seems to be a proliferation of knives with the same name but very sporadic quality. Ours take a wicked edge, but require some care not to rust and to keep the wood looking healthy.

We've been using Shun classic steak knife set for more than two years now. Usually put them on bestor 1.2k every couple of weeks if we use them often. Easy to care for, and I thought I got them at a very good price, around 160 a set.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate the help and will do a little more research.

Mike

One of my sets of steak knives are the Shun, they are excellent. I would recommend them.

One of my sets of steak knives are the Shun, they are excellent. I would recommend them.

The one's that I like are actually cheaper than the classics...thinking about blowing some of the $350 I have in WS giftcards on those now...demmit...

So Michel Bras is a renowned French Chef, much props, but how is he a bladesmith? Why would someone pay $900 for three of his steak knives? WTH? Marketing I guess.

Back