Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Konosuke HD Gyuto--Wa Handle separating from ferrule

New Konosuke HD Gyuto--Wa Handle separating from ferrule

Greetings everyone. This is my first post and it's a question. I've had a Konosuke HD 270 gyuto (ebony wa handle) from CKTG for ~ 2 weeks. Have used it three times, moisture has not touched the handle. The handle has begun separating from the ferrule in two places. I have digital photos but for some reason it says I don't have permission to post attachments. Do any of you have suggestions for what to do about this? It's a $296 knife. Mark at CKTG doesn't want to replace it; he wants to refund it...which will leave me without the knife I want.

Hi Andy, welcome! I think you just need a few more posts before you can add pictures (that's a protection against spammers).

As for the handle, pictures would be nice. Besides returning it, it might be possible to close the opening gaps with epoxy or superglue, or by immersing the handle in mineral oil for a few says so that the wood expands a little bit and closes the gap. Will depend on the size and position of the gap. The wood should not shrink, but as a natural material, it can happen, especially if you are in a different climate zone.

Stefan

Welcome! IMHO I would let him refund your money and then buy from someone here...any reason you want the knife that bad? Many other options available though the Kono's are nice...I am sure you will get good advice here either way. Good luck!

If he wants to refund rather than replace, I would think that there may have been a bad batch of kons that escaped from the factory. Get the refund.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    If he wants to refund rather than replace, I would think that there may have been a bad batch of kons that escaped from the factory. Get the refund.
    I seem to recall someone else mentioning poor F&F on their new Kono recently too. Definitely sounds like a blooper batch might have escaped.

To the OP, I'd go with the refund as well... but if you're dead set on it, like Stefan said a little epoxy or mineral oil might do you just fine. Alternatively, you could also have it rehandled, which will make the fancy knife you like even more fancy!

Welcome !

Did you ask him why he would not replace it?

Well, yeah then.

Either return it, keep it and eat the cost of a steller re-handle by some great craftsmen around here ($ 150 +), or some type of DIY fix (pics would certainly help)...

I'm guessing he doesn't have an ebony handle available for replacement. I think he only gets a few at a crack...maybe it would take some time.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

get your refund. then order it again! they dont stay in stock too long either. i love the hd steel personally but the ebony handle was a bit heavy for me.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd take the refund and reconsider your options if it were me. I have seen your knife (including the ebony handle) in the B/S/T section here from time to time, but you have to be on the forum all the time and ready to act fast! I'm sure Mark will get another shipment soon enough too.

As Vertigo suggests, if you really love the blade (and want to spend some more money), there are some excellent handle makers here.

I know the old double horn HD handles were much nicer than these newer "stabilized" handles of late. They have zero taper and aren't sanded very smooth or even... one can only wonder.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com