Wanting knives to match my new kitchen - Melbourne, Australia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelgraynz

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post to the forum and I would be grateful for your advice.
I am wanting to invest in my first set of 'proper' knives. I use the word 'proper' because while I have been a student, I haven't spent much on knives - but that hasn't stopped my love of cooking. Now I am wanting the tools to back up my famous home cooking!

I was looking at a set of Zwillings, however reading these forum threads, it appears that I should consider some other brands!
So here are my answers to the survey. I would love some expert advice!

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? A few - Santoku, Chef's 8.5", Pairing, and boning/filleting knife - am comfortable with a mix of different brands for each!

Why is it being purchased? Replacing my current cheap knife set - nothing of consequence.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-
Edge Quality/Retention-
Ease of Use- For a chef's knife, I think I would enjoy using something with a bit of weight behind it
Comfort-

What grip do you use? Hammer grip mostly, but would like to learn to incorporate pinch grip more.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Push-cut and rock, walk for herbs.

Where do you store them? They will be mounted on a magnetic wall strip

Have you ever oiled a handle? Have never owned a knife with a wooden handle, however I oil my chopping boards.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Flat grain and plastic. Will be investing in a nice end grain board though.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Honing rod

Have they ever been sharpened? Yes

What is your budget? Looking to spend around $500 AUD for 3-4 knives (If this is an agreeable price range - I have no idea really!)

What do you cook and how often? European style & asian cooking (Mostly meat and vegetable work). Cook for myself/family - home use only (not being used in a commercial situation).

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Open to options!

If you have any other questions - please just let me know and I will try to answer.
Thanks in advance for all of your replies. I am so very excited to get some good kitchenware for my new kitchen!

Well, I would suggest tailoring your knife selection to; gyuto, petty, and maybe a parer if you do in-hand knife work; also consider a slicer/ sujihiki. I think a petty and/ or a suji can replace the functions of a filet, unless you are used to using a filet and use it frequently. Not many options for Japanese filets; Victorinox is often the solution. Another would be the custom route, ie: Pierre Rodrigue

A longer petty (180-210mm) can do double duty as a petty and a slicer/suji; BUT..
I never agree that a smaller petty (120-150MM) can do double duty as a parer......

A few more questions, to get the suggestions flowing:
wa or western
stainless or carbon
big box retailer brands or small e-tailers

Thanks for the fast reply! Wow.
Okay. Let's redefine the list to Gyuto, petty (smaller rather than longer) and sujihiki (to use for boning) for the moment...

To answer other questions:

wa or western - Never used Wa style knives -always grew up with my parents 'heavy' knives. Am open to suggestions!
stainless or carbon - Carbon is good
big box retailer brands or small e-tailers - Don't mind small e-tailers. Good value for money is always a plus.

Just to throw this out, but a sujihiki is more of a slicer than a boning knife...often long and thin. Welcome and good luck!

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!

Since you've never used a wa-handled knife, I suggest you try one. I prefer them, but it's really a matter of personal preference. With a pinch grip, you may find you like wa better.

You say you would like a chef's knife with a bit of weight. After you try a good Japanese (or Japanese styled) knife, you may want to change that requirement. I, too, thought I wanted a heavier chef's knife before I started using my current knives.

Enjoy the journey!

Welcome to KKF!
:ntmy:

You, I think, have hit the nail on the head for getting just what knives a person NEEDS--a main all-purpose knife, a small parer/petty, and one specialized knife focused on what you eat a lot of(slicer/filet/bread/etc).

Hello,

Good to have another Ozie resident on board. If you are heading to good food and wine show today, swing by Leigh's chef's armoury stand (F23) or his usual on-line shop. He's got some cheaper options, but mostly on the mid to high end knives.

Or check out Frank of Iron chef knives. He'll also be in Melbourne for Fine Foods Hospitality Expo in September. Tatsuya of Suisin will be there as well, lucky Melbournian. Frank has many decent knives and decent prices (for local au shop).

Wow. Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to pop down to the Food show and have a look today. Don't be surprised if I come back with at least a Gyuto! Will update when I return.

Good luck Michael.

If you don't buy something, hopefully you can figure out your handle preference (western or wa) and what length might suit you.

To update, Leigh at chef's armory was amazing.
Have purchased a Takamura gyuto (180mm) and a mcusta zanmai petty 150mm VG-10.
At his suggestion for a boning knife, I'm off to get an equinoxx - which will suffice for my left-handedness.

Can't wait to get home!

Congratulations! Let us know how they work out for you.:knife:

Back