Quantcast
Harner Kiritsuke-Gyuto Passaround - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Harner Kiritsuke-Gyuto Passaround

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Just shipped this off to Pesky early this A.M. I missed her so bad at work today. I really appreciate the size of this baby. It doubles as a very large spatula for scooping up your prepped veg, meat, etc. I love a large knife for knocking out large prep!!!
    The only things I would do: Round out the choil a little, because the way the handle design has me holding the knife-rubs my finger against the choil with some abrasion.
    A little more polish/rounded spine for friction/abrasion purposes.
    I noticed some serious sticktion when slicing cucumbers. I don't know if this is because of the large flat surface area, or if a convex grind would help with this at all.
    I didn't get to sharpen it, I wish I did......but honestly, it didn't need it. I wish I could comment.
    Man, I love this knife. I hope I can own it or one just like it some day.
    Thanks Rick for the generous passaround.
    Thanks Butch for making such a great blade, seriously my hat is off to you. It's like it was made for ME!!!!!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Engorged Member
    Just got this knife and my first impression is that this is a prep monster. It is like a weird gyuto-thai cleaver.

I got to handle this knife before Mario let it go..Beastly!!! Has a cool feel to it though, feels pretty good in hand

Engorged Member
    SO I have had this thing for a week. My first impression is still prevalent in my mind…this is a prep monster.

I changed my cutting style to maximize performance with this thing. I am a predominately a pull cutter/tip dragger. This knife is WAY too tall to get away with that. I found that this knife’s height tend to favor a push cutter. It also seems to be a pretty good rock chopper. I had no issue with chopping herbs and dicing onions. It also it sturdy enough feeling that I enjoyed whacking up hard squash and melons. It does stick, but now where near as much as my old Mundial 12” Chef. It sucks at the onion test. It just is much more awkward to use thank a much shorter knife.

One thing I disliked about this knife on it arrival was the kirisuke tip. I have grown to appreciate it more though because it shortens the blade and makes it much more manageable. Unfortunately, I feel that this knife is worthless for tip work. The knife is BIG, and the tip was at a weird place to utilize. After I had massacred a tray of late season strawberries, I gave up and excepted that I would need a petty or paring knife handy for hand work. In that respect, I found this this knife fit the roll of a traditional grand chef knife. If it were mine, I’d feel comfortable attacking whole chickens, loping off trout heads, etc.

Like every single Harner Knife I have touched, the fit and finish was impeccable. There is no doubt that this is a Harner. I like the handle. It isn’t polished to the nth degree. There is still a depth there, but it isn’t a museum piece that you’re afraid of picking up and using. It fit my hand well and there aren’t any places that seem to annoyingly rub or poke you as you use it. The other odd thing about the knife is that the handle is above the blade. I thought I might find this annoying in use, but it really made the knife much easier to use due to the leverage advantage. I have to say it is also extremely well balanced. I was able to use this knife for longer periods of time with any fatigue.
    All in all, I found this knife a joy to use once I got used to it. Again, this is not an “all-arounder”. I would be perfectly happy using this along with one of Del’s new paring knives. I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it. It just doesn’t look like it would work…too much Shun Ken Onion….but I will admit- I was wrong.

Rick if you could let me know who’s next on the list I will PM them for an address.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Any updates?

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Any updates?
    I was slower than I thought getting this off to Obtuse. He should have it later this week.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Thanks for the update.

Hi, I've had the knife for about a week now and I'm ready to send it off tomorrow. I found the knife to be very comfortable to use. The blade forward balance coupled with the large blade height made it feel substantial but not clunky. I used it for some limited prep during the week, mincing herbs and garlic, dicing onions, slicing carrots etc. Even though the knife has a very flat profile, the slight curve in the blade made mincing a breeze. The knife went through onions and carrots with minimal wedging, I think it could use a little thinning behind the edge, but that's more of a sharpening thing. Overall I'm very impressed with Butch's handy work. If I worked in a pro kitchen prepping tons of veggies, this would be a knife I'd like to have in my kit.
    Thank you for the opportunity to try this knife.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Hi, I've had the knife for about a week now and I'm ready to send it off tomorrow. I found the knife to be very comfortable to use. The blade forward balance coupled with the large blade height made it feel substantial but not clunky. I used it for some limited prep during the week, mincing herbs and garlic, dicing onions, slicing carrots etc. Even though the knife has a very flat profile, the slight curve in the blade made mincing a breeze. The knife went through onions and carrots with minimal wedging, I think it could use a little thinning behind the edge, but that's more of a sharpening thing. Overall I'm very impressed with Butch's handy work. If I worked in a pro kitchen prepping tons of veggies, this would be a knife I'd like to have in my kit.
    Thank you for the opportunity to try this knife.
    You're very welcome. Thanks for the review.

ThEoRy is next on the list, please drop him a PM and let him know you'll be sending it to him.

Rick

Who's next I'd like to ship her off. Please pm me with shipping details.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

+ Reply to Thread