Quantcast
Harner Kiritsuke-Gyuto Passaround - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Harner Kiritsuke-Gyuto Passaround

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    hmm It may be a good thing lefty isn't in the pass around. The knife prob. would make it but the saya may have problems.

The knife arrived safely at my doorstep today, all is well.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I'm no Pesky, but I like to use my tools and not have to baby them. It actually explains why I favour the knives I do quite a bit.
    To be honest, this one looks right up my alley.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Ok, so I'll post some pictures either late tonight after work or early tomorrow afternoon depending on how much sleep I need. So far I've only had the chance to cut one onion and all I can say is that I am impressed. This knife acted as if there was no onion and I was slicing through air, absolutely fantastic. I don't know if this is the result of Butch's grind/steel/HT or Eamon's sharpening or a combination of both. My guess is it's a little bit of A and B and clearly I still have work to go on my sharpening abilities. I will have to do more testing, much more testing but so far I'm digging it. I also can say that I love the extremely flat profile as I do 90% push cuts.

OK, I couldn't help myself, here's a teaser pic.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by stereo.pete; 06-08-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added a picture

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Sorry to bog the thread down, but my saya that Eamon made me (one of his first, I believe) is still fitting beautifully and holding up very well. It takes a bit of a beating too. I use it on the knife, then jam it under a corner on a sheetpan to get juices for sauces, use it as a spoon holder for tasting/stirring spoons, spreading mortar...ok, maybe not the last one.
    i have one Eamon saya (and two on the way), and while i haven't used it as a sheet pan, or to hammer nails into my latest victims, it is certainly holding up well!

Well, I have had a few days to play around with this knife and here's my brief synopsis.

Fit and Finish: Not including the cracks that developed, the handle itself is beautiful, and the tang is blended perfectly. The blade is straight with no over grinds etc etc. Maker's mark is very clear, defined and overall, the knife is very well-made.

Aesthetics: Other than Butch's Nakiri, I cannot get into his "radical/rustic" shaped knives. This is my problem, not butch's or anyone else's.

Performance: The profile is perfect for my style of cutting, which is 90% push cutting. The grind is awesome, it fell through everything I threw at it with minimal sticking. Eamon's edge plus Butch's grind = one serious cutting machine. I wasn't perfectly perpendicular with my cutting board when horizontally slicing onions and I shaved a bit off my Board Smith board (oops ). The performance has been so very great for me, that now I am considering looking into a Butch knife in the future. Function for me is way more important than form I guess, I just wish he made a Gyuto that I liked the look of. Perhaps I will look into getting a Nakiri if I like my Carter when it arrives.

Eamon's sheath was very well-made with no rough areas, gaps or unevenness anywhere. Once again, similar to Butch's knives I prefer a different design asethetically but the blade fit perfectly into his sheath. In fact, it friction fit and the pin was not necessary, although I understand wood changes overtime so the pin will be necessary in the future. Maker's mark was well burned in and overall I thought it was very nice. It is just as nice as my Shigefusa saya, which once again isn't the nicest looking but from a function standpoint, it is amazingly well fit.

Pics...

By chicagopete at 2012-06-11

Below is the crack mentioned earlier.

Below you will see a very small crack on the top left hand corner of the handle that I noticed.

By ChicagoPete at 2012-06-11

that's a nice patina that is building!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Great pics. Can't wait to try this bad boy out.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the knife, Pete, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed using it.

Good pics, too!

Rick

P.S. I did not sharpen it because it did not need it and I will be packing it up and shipping it out Wednesday morning!

+ Reply to Thread