Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: not holding an edge

not holding an edge

So I have been practicing sharpening with my Global's & Ken Onion Shun for a couple of weeks now. I feel like I am getting there and Jon and many other videos have helped. After I finish (start on a 1000 and finish on 6000) the knives are razor sharp but seem to keep that sharpness for only about a week. I am doing A LOT of prep and mostly use wood boards with occasional poly. Any suggestions at what I am doing wrong

Can you just elaborate what means a LOT?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

If you're doing a lot of prep and your standards are somewhat high a week sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Can you just elaborate what means a LOT?
    I prep for myself and my fiance, about 5-6 meals witch always includes 2-3 veggies and a protein. Sometimes cook for friends. Roughly, 5-15 peppers, 10lbs of potatoes, chiffonade herbs (lots) broccoli, cabbage, sushi and other swag.

I cook at least that much and my knives stay pretty sharp for a couple of weeks, though I have about 7-8 in the rotation so with one knife that may be about right. Again, that is if your standards are pretty high...at what level of sharpness would you say your knives are in after a week (90%)? Also, do you do a lot of chopping--i.e. hammering them on the board?

wire edge maybe?

Not a big fan of chopping although some produce does require that. I finish the sharpening with a wine bottle cork as per Jon's video so hopefully no wire edge. maybe its the knives ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRossy View Post
    Not a big fan of chopping although some produce does require that. I finish the sharpening with a wine bottle cork as per Jon's video so hopefully no wire edge. maybe its the knives ?
    Could be that you are putting too acute an edge on them. Have you thought of putting a microbevel on?

Rick

Keeping "razor" sharpness for a week is pretty good. If you mean they just won't cut, that's another story. In my experience, Globals need fairly frequent touching up on a rod to feel nice and sharp. Shuns in VG10 stay keener longer before touching up. Are you saying all of your knives need sharpening every week? That would definitely be indicative of a problem.

Frequent stropping or use of a ceramic rod will help prolong the edge....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com