Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: not holding an edge

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I was thinking that when I went that way, but I got a very good response with it.

much more awesomer
    I love this forum. That's a LOT of info from practical experience in a very short number of posts! Would Dave's boards have quite a bit to do with his edges? I relegated my poly and crappy edge-grain boards to dog-food prep with my crappy knives once I started using J-knives for all my people-food prep. That said, I get about two weeks out of my white-2 KS edge with somewhat less prep than Dave describes.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

yes and also technique will also do it to (rock chop). More time on the board will dull it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    yes and also technique will also do it to (rock chop). More time on the board will dull it too.
    Or in my mother in laws case, daily runs through the dishwasher despite my pleading with her not to

45 degree seems really excessive. I dont measure my angles but I definitely go more obtuse than on my own knives. It seems like every global with a factory edge I get to sharpen is chipped to heck. Don't know if this is the steel or the users but it seems to be a theme. After I first sharpened ours (still at fairly steep angles) the chipping issue seemed to be less. Of course I started with my 220 to set an entirely new bevel.

My theory as to the problem many have is due to the factory bevel being very convex. If you don't reset the bevel on a very coarse stone you would need to sharpen at an excessive angle to even be hitting the edge. If you sharpen at steep angles (close to the stone) you will only be hitting the shoulders.

I probably sound like I hate globals but I really don't. I think they are the best of the "Williams and sonoma" type knives as far as profile, geometry and grind go, I just find the steel a bit lacking in edge holding as compared to something like VG-10.

I don't have any way to check the angle I am using just because it is freehand. It just seems more extreme than others.

I tried it, and stropping at a much higher angle does work, without lost of performance. Whatever your sharpening angle is (25 degree inclusive?), 45 degree is a lot to strop at, but 35 degree is quite reasonable.

Thanks everyone, I will look into some leather for stropping and give it a try. Just a footnote, I just got my ceramics back from Kyocera from the sharpening dept (only $10) and I would LOVE to have an edge on my regular knife like I have got back on these. I can just pull the santoku back from the heel to the tip on a lemon and.....right through

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRossy View Post
    I would LOVE to have an edge on my regular knife like I have got back on [Kyocera ceramics]. I can just pull the santoku back from the heel to the tip on a lemon
    Trust me, in time you will think that same feeling is somewhat dull once you get going on sharpening. In my experience, ceramic knives cannot even come close to how keen and sharp an edge can get on a good blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Trust me, in time you will think that same feeling is somewhat dull once you get going on sharpening. In my experience, ceramic knives cannot even come close to how keen and sharp an edge can get on a good blade.
    You had better not let ming tsai hear you say that