Carter On Ebay

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbochef422

Reaction score
Hi everyone. It's my first post and even though I hang around this site alot I am yet to speak up. I must admit even for someone who works in a kitchen all day and then looks at my knives all night it's still alittle intimidating but here I go. Recently on ebay (where i buy some of my vintage sabatiers) I stumbled upon a Murray Carter knife. The guy said he got a neck knife and this came with it. So I bought it for $100. The blade is 5 1/2 inches and the knife is 10 1/4 overall. Any iformation would be appreciated. I think i got a deal but I dont use many traditional japanese and definitely not hand made knives. Thanks in advance.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251073763939?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

That is a Carter SFGZ funayuki in blue super, which are generally very good performing knives. Hopefully, this one works nicely. It is pretty clear to me that the knife has been altered prior to taking the pictures. The scratch pattern on the surface of the blades and the overall look of the finish is atypical of Carters.

Seems like a decent deal, though I can't tell from the pictures how the changes might affect the knife.

Congrats! Great score and welcome :)

Murray Carter is the culinary answer to Divine Brown.

[QUOTE
Murray Carter is the culinary answer to Divine Brown.[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO

It looks like it sold for $150. If it did, that's not much of a deal. If you got it for $100, then good on you. Cheap for a Carter.

You asked for any info, and here you go:
It's a 4 sun Stainless Fukugozai Funayuki in Hitachi White #2 steel.

Carters, in this range, are known to have...ahem...less than perfect Fit and Finish. This one does have some abnormal scratch patterns on the face of the knife though, and even though there are spotty reports of shallow stamping on these, the maker's mark and other insignia are pretty incoherent. It appears that this guy probably took it to a belt sander to clean up the scuffiness and hammer marks. It's not Blue Super steel, because those get an "S" stamp from Carter down by the ferrule, and this appears to have the leavings of a "W" by the maker's mark, which he does for his White Steel. It's also his favorite steel, and cheaper than AS, so I doubt he would be giving away anything else for free.

You might want to have it sharpened, if you are not a seasoned sharpener, to bring out the best in this knife. If this guy was, in fact, some sharp-stick-collecting bozo who took a sloppy belt grinder to his free Carter, he probably also "sharpened" it for you, maybe after bumping the edge with an 80 grit AlOx belt. Just saying, it's eBay. Caveat Emptor.

Welcome to KKF!

Do you have a Misono with the dragon on it, or is it just an avatar?

I should also add that nobody else measures knives in Shaku(the whole '4 sun' thing). Also, it's not what anyone else calls a Funayuki. It's a tiny little gyuto kind of thing, so it's what we in the English Speaking world call a Petty. When they're Carters, they are "Funayuki!".

Thanks. I said 100 but it was 150. I always round down when telling my wife so I guess it now comes natural.

I do have a misono with a dragon on it. That one in the pic isn't mine. Mine has about 5 years of consistent use on it.

Spend some more time here and you will soon be rounding down to $500 regularly.

You asked for any info, and here you go:
It's a 4 sun Stainless Fukugozai Funayuki in Hitachi White #2 steel...
Yeah. It sorta looks like there might be an "S" right next to the ferrule but it does look more like it would be a rubbed out "W." However, Carter does not and never has used white #2. He uses white #1.

Yeah. It sorta looks like there might be an "S" right next to the ferrule but it does look more like it would be a rubbed out "W." However, Carter does not and never has used white #2. He uses white #1.

True 'nuff. My bad. I knew it was some kind of white steel, which he always insists on telling everyone is made by Hitachi, but couldn't remember which.

Sloppy googling led me to his page on making Damascus and I misunderstood it. :slaphead:

I was told just now that Murray does in fact give away blue steel knives, and has done so in the last few weeks as a result of his switching to exclusively White #1.

This may not seem important, I know.
But it is.
So that's why I'm bothering telling you so.

When I bought my neck knife from Murray back in 2010, I got a gift from him of a blue steel SFGZ-RH funayuki:

9eeaea81.jpg

Perhaps Murray determined that neck knife people are not usually kitchen knife people and started giving away small kitchen knives to get them hooked.

Makes me want to buy a kneck knife. I did like what he had when I was looking at his work last year.

Perhaps Murray determined that neck knife people are not usually kitchen knife people and started giving away small kitchen knives to get them hooked.

He's quite upfront about what he's doing. This is from one of his newsletters:

In order that my Knife Tip Subscribers can experience two of the best knives in the world that represent real assets in the cutlery world, I will hand select for you a Carter hand-forged general purpose kitchen knife from our current inventory of Stainless Fukugozai or Stainless Fukugozai-Riveted Handle kitchen knives , worth over $150, absolutely FREE when you purchase a Carter neck knife. Now you will have two of the most inherently useful knives in the world.

I'm making this incredibly one-sided offer in your favor because I want to prove to you that my goal in doing business with you is to establish a life-long relationship with you. This relationship will be based on trust, superior products and knowledge and superior customer service.

BTW, if any of you are considering buying a Carter, subscribe to the Free Knife Care Tips on his website. This is where the discount offers are made.

Rick

Ya I have been getting quite a few this week. I have yet to read them yet.

Back