Quantcast
Crazy Carter handle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Carter handle

Crazy Carter handle

For those who didn't see it on Facebook...

He just did this knife for someone I know(who shall remain nameless, I guess, unless he wants to pipe up himself). He's a woodworker, so I'm sure Mr. Carter had that in mind.

This is an interesting take on things. A little weird, compositionally speaking, but it's a a material-heavy rethinking of a simple Wa handle from the perspective of someone who has seen, like, a bajillion Wa handles.

Snakewood, Blonde Buffalo Horn, Purpleheart, and Desert Ironwood.

Crazy!

Thoughts?

One name: Estella Marie Thompson aka Devine Brown!
    There is no classy about her, but you know she will do the job

Hey, this has got class to it! It's a little busy, but I think it's interesting--wood-horn-burl? Don't see that much.

Not my thing but I am all for trying out new things. Maybe I should glue together some cut-offs for handles

Stefan

I actually like it. It's kinda ugly-good-looking, like John Travolta or the girl from Fight Club.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I would compare this to driving a Trabant.
    Its all right until your friends find out

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Not my thing but I am all for trying out new things. Maybe I should glue together some cut-offs for handles

Stefan
    Do it! Let's see your patchwork handles.

OR just mix a composite up of sawdust and epoxy and call it the "golem" series.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    I would compare this to driving a Trabant.
    Its all right until your friends find out
    Really quality friends you have there...

Its definitely sexy but needs more blade attahced to it maybe?

I'm really pleased with it. It is a bit overwhelming, but mostly because it's a lot of knife for a total newbie. Aesthetically, the ironwood is my favorite part of the handle. I've never worked with snakewood, but it is comparatively muted and subtle (which seems weird, because the grain pattern of snakewood isn't subtle at all). The purpleheart is a little much, I think. But I've worked with purpleheart quite a bit, and the 'purple' will get more muted as time passes. What I love most about the knife, though, is he made it for me. Heck, he even photographed it on one of my cutting boards. He learned who I was, he asked questions, and he crafted something that he thought I'd enjoy. And I'm enjoying it, even if wielding something like that scares the crap out of me. To me, this knife isn't a Trabant... it's a 16-year old kid getting to drive a cherry red Porsche. The kid doesn't deserve it, and he has no business using it, but man is he enjoying it.

John

That snakewood looks like Lacewood.
    Other than the strip of purpleheart, I like it.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store