Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Carter handle

I like it. Murray has certainly got his own style. Even if I didn't like it personally, I would still respect someone with the experience and tens of thousands of hours of looking at knives and handles who is still willing to try something "different" and, first and foremost has his customer in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    That snakewood looks like Lacewood........
    I thought that as well........

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I don't like it, not one bit.
    Jason

If the purpleheart was replaced the blonde horn she would be a winner.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I like the style that is new (to me?). The use of woods (colors) is what is throwing me off, I can't pin point what is "missing". But on the whole I love it.

Murray makes great cutters. The handles go from fairly nice to yuck. To me, this one is more on the yuck side.

I think its quite a jewel, But it doesn't work on that knife, would look good on a blingy damascus parer.

Honestly, I didn't see the purpleheart until I was posting this. I loved the side angles, but then when checking what Jason told me the handle materials were, I was like "what do you mean, purpleheart spacers? There's no spacer..." and then I looked at the blurry pic I was ignoring and was like "Eh oh!". My judgement went from "fresh and classy" to "interesting and remarkable".

I mostly thought it was interesting that instead of making a handle the way we normally see them--I.E. wood/burl>exotic accent>horn ferrule, or wood/burl>exotic accent>exotic ferrule--it's like normal wood>horn ferrule>burl...uh...ferrulecap?

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I think its quite a jewel, But it doesn't work on that knife, would look good on a blingy damascus parer.
    You are right about that. I've found that little parers can take some pretty ostentatious or downright kitschy handles and pull it off. You've got quite an eye for aesthetics, dude.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Yep its the horn that I seem to have a problem with. Probably some spacer working there. But that would be to busy. lol

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Yep its the horn that I seem to have a problem with. Probably some spacer working there. But that would be to busy. lol
    MY typing skills suck! I meant that the purpleheart should be removed and replaced with blonde horn.