Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saya makers :)

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Nooo
    I don't want to waste your money. The last time I checked for irowood burl, wood for saya alone for 10" gyuto came out to be $150.

See if JC wants to make it, as he is starting apprenticeship with me in a week or two.
    We will cover yanagi saya as well.

M

PS: Chestnut lumber is hard to get here in the US. The only chestnut I came across was reclaimed from structures built over 100 years ago.
    That's because most American chestnuts are extinct. they were wiped out by a blight. not very many left in the world.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    That's because most American chestnuts are extinct. they were wiped out by a blight. not very many left in the world.
    Wow I just remembered that bit of trivia from back a few decades.

I started working on that knife you sent me. Going to be wrking on some Soceye salmon next week

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Wenge huh, I'm familier with it, isn't the grain kind of tight on that wood or is that on a piece by piece issue? The pieces I have seen where on razors so that may not have been the best size for my recollections
    Wenge has long oper pores, but otherwise pretty dense and stable, particularly if quarter-sawn. I would not consider it a perfect match, but it would be kind of in the same theme as charred chestnut.

There is plenty of chestnut in the world, and there has been an to introduce European Chestnut in the US in the last few decades, but not at a scale that would make it a viable lumber source

You might try to buy some chestnut from online dealers from outside the US.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com