Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing thinning scratches

Removing thinning scratches

Hey,

i have a friend that sharpened his knife, he thinned it and both whole sides look pretty bad was wondering if there is a way to fix this without sandpaper or a beltgrinder?

i was wondering if the mud from stones would help smooth out the finish?

Using actual stones to refinish an entire blade isn't fun and I've never gotten a nice, even finish that way. Applying mud to some sort of substrate like cork has worked for me to an extent.

Good topic, I wondered about this too. Wonder if anyone has pics of a knife thinned on a stone.
    I'm assuming it's part of the learning process. (Not to thin using too rough of a grit)
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    Hey,

was wondering if there is a way to fix this without sandpaper or a beltgrinder?
    Is there a particular reason for not using sandpaper?

wet/dry sandpaper is the way to go, in my opinion. i've gotten good results using a King 800, as well. refinishing goes along with thinning, so a small investment in sandpaper is a good idea.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

A friend, huh?
    I've never done a great job polishing a knife with stones only. Mud could work but it would take awhile. Is there any reason you don't want to use micro mesh pads or sandpaper?

Mud on cork is pretty limited in terms of the depth of scratches it will fix.

Putting a satin finish on using wet/dry sandpaper on a hard foam sanding block is not all that difficult. Lubricate with water/Dawn, sand in one direction only, start with 220 and finish around 400 or so, and you you can mimic a Shigefusa kasumi finish surprisingly well.

These are two knives I've thinned and blended on stones. You don't have to blend that far up the blade.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070138 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	7594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamaguri-front.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	7595

You know sandpaper is available at any auto body shop, or even Auto Zone for like $5, right? It's a rare solution--fast, cheap AND good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    A friend, huh?
    I've never done a great job polishing a knife with stones only. Mud could work but it would take awhile. Is there any reason you don't want to use micro mesh pads or sandpaper?
    ya actually a guy a work that didn't want me to do it

will try to get a picture tonight. Also if anyone has any videos of how to do it with sandpaper that would be awesome i did it about a year ago with my Kono HD it came out ok but not as good as id like you can always see the scratch marks