Some thoughts on knives I saw at ECG

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I arrived late at the ECG this year but I got to check out most everything that was there and a few things stuck in my mind that's worth mentioning.

Marko's gyuto - this was an incomplete (not finished completely) example he brought along but even so the blade itself was very impressive. The profile was great, the grind was great - yes great, and the surface finish was slick as can be. I was highly impressed with this knife.

HHH feather damascus/hippo handle knives (pair) - quality materials & workmanship plus a nice thin grind - stunners

Michael Rader - his gyutos were well represented but the knife that stole the show was Johnny's scimitar - WOW! I couldn't get enough of fondling this knife.

Mike Davis - there was a small slicer made from Del's damascus here. I was impressed by the quality of workmanship in the build as well as the finish applied to the damascus. Speaking of the damascus - this stuff was awesome!! I think this is the best pattern I've seen that Del produces, it speaks to my tastes.

Mike Henry - lots of Mike's handle work was seen and none disappointed...in fact all impressed. Mike's doing some very clean work.

I'm sure that there was lots more that I'm not remembering right now. The above is just what stuck in my mind.

What no love for my knives dave? J/K

I was really impressed with the Rader Scimitar. Serious skill put into that knife.

Haha, you know there was a bunch of good knives when Dave forgets the Kramer. Matt's literal suitcase of goodies was awesome.

I liked Son's knife from Spike for his dad, Rick's mioroshi deba, but my favorite was Andrew's little Carter with the western/wa handle by Dave.

Daves handle job on that was sweet. And the handle on sons knife was surprisingly awesome.

Your suitcase of knives was pretty impressive, Matt. There were so many cool ones it's hard to choose... Rick's konosuke miroshi, JC's Rader scimitar, Son's HHH suji, the plethora of shigefusas, the two Doi hayates I saw, and of course the Kramer, were probably my favorites. I can't choose my own knife but the Cartell is very clean. I can't wait to get it from Marko with a saya.

Oh and Matt's Carter Suji with Stefan handle was great also.

I got to check (and touch with my fingers for geometry) knives by most makers who participate on this forum and from some others (BK).

It was very educational.

One knife that really caught my attention was Spike's gyuto with a hippo tusk handle. To appreciate that knife, one has to hold it in your hand. Well done Spike!

M

I think every popular custom maker was represented, and there were many stunning knives. There is something to be said for functional art!

Some really beautiful knives on hand , the one I really liked also was Matt's Carter Suji, the handle and that stag end cap are beauty's.

Latest posts

Back