First scrimshaw

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
Visiting Randy yesterday, i bugged him a little about scrimshaw. He pulled out his scrim kit and let me take a stab(literally) and i did a little skull. I had to practice more, so i got a bunch of ivory scrap pieces and this is what i made. It is my first real attempt so it has some rough spots, but i plan on rocking out a few more today. Let the practice continue!!!
2012-06-04_12-38-19_903.jpg

What do you guys think?

What an incredible likeness of your girlfriend! You've really captured the equine quality of her nose...

Wow a lot better than what I can do.

And I like it.

Thanks guys, i think i will have another to post later on...Having a blast with this stuff!!!

Holy ****! How did I not realize this?! You do tattoos! This is a no-brainer!

Mike, your knives are going to be so insanely badass.

I mean, a lot of guys can be like "look, I carved some leaves into the spacer". You can put their kid's face on the ferrule!

I joked to Spike about doing scrimshaw a while back in a thread. You are actually doing it! Well done. You are very talented!

The scrimshaw that I did on Son's knife was constrained by the parameters of the project. It needed to be rustic and have a primitive feel, and be of a durable nature so that it would still be there after a lot of use. Most scrimshaw is purely decorative but this needed to be functional as well. It was an interesting project, and I will be interested in seeing how it holds up!

The scrimshaw that I did on Son's knife was constrained by the parameters of the project. It needed to be rustic and have a primitive feel, and be of a durable nature so that it would still be there after a lot of use. Most scrimshaw is purely decorative but this needed to be functional as well. It was an interesting project, and I will be interested in seeing how it holds up!

and I appreciate it. I will be presenting the knife in person at the end of July, I'm going to go home for a little bit. Maybe see if I can dig up some more of my stuff. Somewhere, I have a wicker trunk full of cleavers, 39" long cow splitter, one 36" long hog splitter. If I can find them I also have some fossilized sea cow bones and a few oosics.

and I appreciate it. I will be presenting the knife in person at the end of July, I'm going to go home for a little bit. Maybe see if I can dig up some more of my stuff. Somewhere, I have a wicker trunk full of cleavers, 39" long cow splitter, one 36" long hog splitter. If I can find them I also have some fossilized sea cow bones and a few oosics.

Hmmm... Sea cow

Thanks guys! Sea cow bone is absolutely beautiful...Son i want dibs :p hahaha It looks awesome when it is polished

if i can find it your in, it's jet black and sounds like glass. I found tons of it when I worked for a paleontologist one year in Orange county.

alright, only if i can find it, i have so many boxes and so little time.lol

Mike thats amazing! Your so talented. I can see it now.. Your gona be VERY busy scratching ivory and horn my brother!! :)

Mike thats amazing! Your so talented. I can see it now.. Your gona be VERY busy scratching ivory and horn my brother!! :)
Just from you alone!!! LOL Thanks Randy, it is because of you i am able to do this stuff. I have another one started and maybe half way done. I will unveil it tomorrow :D Actually i have 2 started(You know the other) but that one is going to take some time... Thanks a lot guys :) I am flattered you like my stuff, and i am going to take it up a few notches :)

if i can find it your in, it's jet black and sounds like glass. I found tons of it when I worked for a paleontologist one year in Orange county.
Hope I get on the sea cow list. Btw was it in orange county, calif. where you were digging? Pm me. Also, I am probably coming to New York on some high seniority flight passes later this year hope to see you.

Cool stuff - not only the great scrimshaw, also the potential to get some more old bones and stuff. If I am still at it at that time, I'd also be interested! Always wanted to try oosik also. So much to play with, so little time...

Stefan

Back