Quantcast
Greatest Kitchen knife makers (bit of fun)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Kitchen knife makers (bit of fun)

Greatest Kitchen knife makers (bit of fun)

Just a bit of fun really and I'm the inquisitive type lol. But sentiment aside who do you think are the top 5 greatest makers of kitchen knives in the world today. By this I mean makers who will be spoken about and revered in years to come for whatever reason, which might include the shear quality of their work or due to a unique or niche area that they might have mastered etc...

Obviously I've not the experience or knowledge to give a "top" 5 or 10 but am curious as to those that have seen/handled and/or used many knives and their opinions.

I don't feel remotely qualified to make this sort of judgement.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I don't feel remotely qualified to make this sort of judgement.
    Don't worry, Oivind will be along shortly to tell us all.

It would be highly subjective
    I got my favorites

Okay, I'll get my feet wet.

Thomas
    Kramer
    Hattori
    Iizuka (Shigefusa)
    Burke

and
    Doi
    Fujiwara
    Rodrigue
    Rader
    Heiji

It is all relative.

I have seen and handled many knives (all those RiffRaff mentioned) and could not find a single one without shortcoming, whatever that might be (assuming you evaluate a knife by more than one criteria). I am sure people find shortcomings in my knives as well.

I am with tk59 on this one.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

A great knife to one person may not be so to another. We all have personal preferences, cutting styles, hand size, etc etc

Marko ts just meant to be a bit of fun as I said I really am not qualified to comment but I'm guessing people like yourself could have a fairly "educated" guess? As I said perhaps in 30, 40, 50 years from now who will people be talking about as the great knife makers of this era/time. When I said the quality of their work I didn't mean without fault either but as a fantastic functional piece or also from an artisitc point of view. Many people for example hold the old sabatier knives in very high regard, I'm sure they aren't perfect but are truly iconic for example.

Strong example!

I think a post like "what are YOUR five favorite knives" would be more relevant, as people would state their personal preferences and that is fine.

It might be a post for fun, but for it to have any value, you have to give some weight to criteria upon which you evaluate a knife. Say balance, maintenance, sharpness, edge retention, handle size, fun to use, you name it...

What is best for one might not be best for another, but you would need to get an absolute agreement on a claim for it to be valid, so in this sense, I don't see a point of this thread.

I hope I don't come across as rude, just being honest.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread