Video - Color Changing Wood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I was contacted by a customer wanting to return some blocks he had purchased.
His explanation for the return was the wood looked darker in person than it did in the photos.
I said yes that I would be fine with the return. When I mentioned that some woods will have a color change, it probably sounded like a cheesy excuse.
While I give a "No questions asked, Money back guarantee", it helps me when I get to know what went wrong.
Hopefully I learn from my mistakes and get better at what I am doing.
In this case, I think I could have done a better job describing the wood as well as better photography.

Giving a better description is easy. I will start doing that. I am trying to get better with the photos.
While the wood is different in this video than what the customer purchased, it does show what I mean by color changing wood.

Disclaimer: I messed up the settings on my camera and the video does not look very good.

[video=youtube_share;jNCFIAXtGRc]http://youtu.be/jNCFIAXtGRc[/video]

I figured out the video problem.
A better video is coming in the morning.
Time for dinner.

People need to understand and be willing to accept that when you combine photography with computer images you don't always get an accurate rendition of the item being displayed. I bought a block that had flashes of purple in the picture, but when I received it you could hardly make out any of the colors. I was pretty disappointed since that was the reason I bought it.

My wife is an equine photographer and sells a lot over the net. The difference between the colors represented on different monitors can be quite dramatic! If everyones monitors were calibrated to everyone else's, the world would be a different place!

People need to understand and be willing to accept that when you combine photography with computer images you don't always get an accurate rendition of the item being displayed. I bought a block that had flashes of purple in the picture, but when I received it you could hardly make out any of the colors. I was pretty disappointed since that was the reason I bought it.
Indoors out of direct light even the best stuff can look kind of bland.
How does the block look when you take it into direct sunlight?

It can be tough to know exactly what a piece will be like when comparing photos to seeing something in person.
With that being said, If you purchase a block from me and when it shows up you don't like it, you can send it back for a refund.
The only thing I ask is that it be done in a short time from when you get it.

I stuck around and finished the new video.
Much better with the proper settings.
[video=youtube_share;z8B2tkzlDBw]http://youtu.be/z8B2tkzlDBw[/video]

Seriously though? If I ordered a block that was reddish brown and got one that is brownish red, I would not be crying about it.

It's not like it went from "stunning, look at that!:drool:" to "OMG where is the dumpster?:puke:"

Just an observation. Some time ago I purchased a block of maple burl, which will metamorphose into a knife handle soon, and it's actually much lighter and whiter than it was pictured on your site. The recent pictures of maple burl blocks also appear more golden than my block, though I would imagine they all came from the same lot.
I don't know if this is a function of monitor calibration, or lighting when the photos were taken, but it is misleading. The wood actually looks a lot better than it appeared in the photos.

Back