Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stone maintenance ala Carter

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    We are talking about the same thing, I think. On coarser stones, it would not matter as much as on finer stones or where you want a nice haze kasumi finish.
    i used to flatten before sharpening every time... now days i do a lot less. I work the corners of the stone for my tips and heels and move more evenly across the surface to keep the stone flat... a lot less waste. Is it a good idea for everyone? no. I totally agree with dave on this. And even still, i sometimes have to flatten anyways on certain stones.

do you typically do sectional or sweeping sharpening, on double bevel knives, Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    do you typically do sectional or sweeping sharpening, on double bevel knives, Jon?
    i guess i would call my style fluid sectional... i move freely up and down the blade, but i dont do full length sweeping motions for the most part

makes sense. the way you describe your sharpening is pretty much the way i do sectional sharpening, and i found that moving around the stone without flattening it works just fine, doing it that way. with full length strokes i found that not flattening the stone before every use led to uneven edges. i don't think it's a surprising finding, particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i guess i would call my style fluid sectional... i move freely up and down the blade, but i dont do full length sweeping motions for the most part
    Jon, I've always been trying to find a way to describe my technique, and I always referred to it as a hybrid of sectional/sweeps....but I think "fluid sectional" is a more accurate portrayal.

I'm using that from now on.

All of these techniques can be combined or applied as needed. Stones may still need flattening sometimes, but by sharpening on the high spots you make more effective use of the stone with less waste. Hopefully you won't need to flatten as much.