Stone maintenance ala Carter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty

Reaction score
As I'm sure most of you know Murray Carter suggests NOT using any sort of lapping or flattening stone. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's his explaination of his technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOc75YhuBQ

His approach makes a lot of sense to me. However, I notice that most everyone else suggests flattening. Any thoughts? I tend to do what Carter suggests but I'm always open to being educated!

i've tried it his way, as it made sense to me, too. i found that i get better edges with flattened stones.

For an advanced sharpener this can work because you recognize problems that can arise but for anyone else I believe this is simply inviting in problems.

Well, it would seem that it makes sense. Sharpening on the high spots. If anything I'll give it a go never know how it might work out.

I'd rather stimulate the economy by prematurely wearing out my stones from flattening them and replacing them more often than necessary.

For an advanced sharpener this can work because you recognize problems that can arise but for anyone else I believe this is simply inviting in problems.

i found that it worked fine when i did sectional sharpening, but it was more difficult to work with when doing sweeping strokes. i can never decide whether i want to do sectional or sweeping sharpening until i actually have the edge on the stone (and i often do both), and it takes about 10 seconds to flatten the stone with my DMT, so it just kind of seems silly, for me anyway.

I think it is you can do this for a double bevel knife, but for single bevel, working on the blade road, it could be difficult to get a nice even looking bevel due to the various different contact points.

I think it is you can do this for a double bevel knife, but for single bevel, working on the blade road, it could be difficult to get a nice even looking bevel due to the various different contact points.

when i'm taking a lot of material off of a blade road, i constantly change position on the stone to keep wear even, so i think it's actually the other way around, for me. i'm not sure i consider it the same thing, though, as i start out with a flat stone and flatten when wear becomes uneven enough.

Flattening takes 15 seconds to do with XXC and there i less chance of inconsistency on stone surface...and it works up some mud, which I like.

I don't see any reason not to flatten really.

when i'm taking a lot of material off of a blade road, i constantly change position on the stone to keep wear even, so i think it's actually the other way around, for me. i'm not sure i consider it the same thing, though, as i start out with a flat stone and flatten when wear becomes uneven enough.

We are talking about the same thing, I think. On coarser stones, it would not matter as much as on finer stones or where you want a nice haze kasumi finish.

We are talking about the same thing, I think. On coarser stones, it would not matter as much as on finer stones or where you want a nice haze kasumi finish.

i used to flatten before sharpening every time... now days i do a lot less. I work the corners of the stone for my tips and heels and move more evenly across the surface to keep the stone flat... a lot less waste. Is it a good idea for everyone? no. I totally agree with dave on this. And even still, i sometimes have to flatten anyways on certain stones.

do you typically do sectional or sweeping sharpening, on double bevel knives, Jon?

do you typically do sectional or sweeping sharpening, on double bevel knives, Jon?

i guess i would call my style fluid sectional... i move freely up and down the blade, but i dont do full length sweeping motions for the most part

makes sense. the way you describe your sharpening is pretty much the way i do sectional sharpening, and i found that moving around the stone without flattening it works just fine, doing it that way. with full length strokes i found that not flattening the stone before every use led to uneven edges. i don't think it's a surprising finding, particularly. :)

i guess i would call my style fluid sectional... i move freely up and down the blade, but i dont do full length sweeping motions for the most part

Jon, I've always been trying to find a way to describe my technique, and I always referred to it as a hybrid of sectional/sweeps....but I think "fluid sectional" is a more accurate portrayal.

I'm using that from now on.

All of these techniques can be combined or applied as needed. Stones may still need flattening sometimes, but by sharpening on the high spots you make more effective use of the stone with less waste. Hopefully you won't need to flatten as much.

Back