The Sheffield Post

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of history in Sheffield much more than i could in 1000 posts so will look at the men whom made the knives and some of there history. They were mostly know for sliver smith's and table cutlery then pocket and hunting knives as they expanded there lines with some offices in the states because of tariff 's.
first up .
sPTzU.png
[/IMG]

This came with along history of the maker but for now well show some of the stock room's and then workers
pCtEy.png
[/IMG]

ThBp8.png
[/IMG]

The Handle maker
eyumi.jpg
[/IMG]

mother of pearl
X2blo.jpg
[/IMG]

K9G0B.jpg
[/IMG]

In the later stages of his career Rowland Swinden partnered Graham Clayton at Kelham Island Industrial Musem. He retired 1995 after working at a grindstone for 50 years
oi0xF.jpg
[/IMG]

George Watts, Sheffield's last knife forger, when he died in 1985 an ancient trade became extinct
wVMp5.jpg
[/IMG]

A "whip" used to drill holes into knife-scales. The cutter wears a breast-plate to provide an end bearing.
pLP14.jpg
[/IMG]

E3ky.jpg
[/IMG]

5DC3P.jpg
[/IMG]

nice little bowie
5xcM.jpg
[/IMG]

sold in the states 1904
kaDTw.png
[/IMG]

Mosaic Cutlers Coat of Arms, at the bottom of the main stairs in the entrance, Cutlers Hall

The Company's motto is "Pour y Parvenir a Bonne Foi"which freely translated, means "For the attaining of good faith." The elephant in the Coat of Arms incorporates the ivory used for handles
SefI5.jpg
[/IMG]

The Norfolk knife.
ohzbE.jpg
[/IMG]

Stan Shaw knife maker .
s7lRt.jpg
[/IMG]

A.J Jordon
EwtpH.png
[/IMG]

AND here is a better picture of the bottom knife .
h7ND9.png
[/IMG]

20 inch chef knife now were talking.

and a little palate cleanser.
QCL2b.jpg
[/IMG]

WB131113.jpg

Now this is how I love Sheffield steel :) I have not had the pleasure of using their vintage kitchen knives... something I would like to remady someday :)

I had purchased a restored Joseph Rogers a while back dated anywhere from 1850 to 1910.

Hah! Thank you, that gave me a good laugh, only cuz it's probably a fair representation:)

With all the potential thefts, fires, earthquake damage and flooding, I have spread my stashes all over the country as a safety precaution, unfortunately I can't remember where most of them went.lol somewhere there is a secret treasure map and a code book, I can't remember where I hid those either. Strokes are a *****.lol

With all the potential thefts, fires, earthquake damage and flooding, I have spread my stashes all over the country as a safety precaution, unfortunately I can't remember where most of them went.lol somewhere there is a secret treasure map and a code book, I can't remember where I hid those either. Strokes are a *****.lol

This sounds like the Goonies, only with half drunk chefs and knives;)

I would be remissed without adding the buffer girls of Sheffield whom buffed and polished all the cutlery.
1YlWc.jpg
[/IMG]

DPHlA.jpg
[/IMG]

I wonder how their lungs held up!

Here's that restored razor I have , honey Ox Horn scales

e2536fd0b28011e19dc71231380fe523_6.jpg

Back