Quantcast
How much flex acceptable in a laser?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much flex acceptable in a laser?

How much flex acceptable in a laser?

So for you laser lovers out there, how much flex do you find acceptable in a laser?

Is the goal to keep it from flexing as much as possible and still be thin?

Is the flex something you just adjust to?

I'm actually not much a laser-guy myself, and I'm just trying to see how thin is too thin.

Assume it is not laser-thin at the base, a forged knife.

A bit of flex doesn't bother me, since I cut up and down, with a bit of push or draw and don't really torque the knife when doing so. I've used somewhat flexy and incredibly stiff knives and I find the stiffer blades make you think they're better quality, but without any flex, I often find they can feel a bit unnatural.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

i prefer stiffer knives. it's not something that is an issue in actual use, for the same reasons that Lefty gave, but i find flexible knives are harder to sharpen, and i like easy.

I'd say that stiffer is better as long as you're not sacrificing too much cutting performance. The only times I find myself wishing a knife was thicker are when I'm going to put a lot of pressure on the spine of a blade, popping a something out of a fruit or root veggie or when I'm peeling something with a very tough rind, etc. I really don't like it when I can feel the blade flex at the choil. Tip flex is okay, for the most part.

Stiffer is better in a laser. Too much flex and it is too annoying to sharpen to a level that I like.

My #1 chukabocho is razor thin with good flex when smashing garlic, but is a laser on the cutting board.

I'll chime in cause the Yusuke I have is probably the thinnest blade of all coming in a 1.3mm at the handle. Its so thin that when washing/polishing you can feel the knife contour to your fingers when wiping length wise. That being said, it really not a problem as I mostly draw cut with it but even push cutting is not a problem unless cutting something hard. Plus being so thin, very little effort is needed to complete the cut especially when your blade is perpendicular to the board. Honestly, my Kono 240 HD Kiri feels totally stiff compared.

Good question....
    I also had the aforementioned yusuke. I thought I was a laser fan, being I love my HDs. But I found the Yuke to feel real flimsy when doing any type of rocking. It had no real benefit over the traditional laser, so I dumped it....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Agreed. I don't think I've ever rock chopped with it, but thats not my cutting style so that isn't an issue

Maybe i just havent used enough/the right lasers, but I never found ultra-thin blades to cut noticably better than a well-ground medium-thin blade. Even if i could get used to flex, I never saw tbe purpose.