Quantcast
Which of your expensive knives disappointed you(or steel)?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Which of your expensive knives disappointed you(or steel)?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    41

    Which of your expensive knives disappointed you(or steel)?

    Wonder if anyone out there has been disappointed by an expensive knife and which brand was it?

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    956
    Define "expensive."

    Kagayaki VG-10 gyuoto. I think it's pretty much turned me off to VG-10 for life. It seemed expensive at the time, since it was my first gyuto...

  3. #3
    Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090
    Hiromoto AS. Got it through a group buy with a rehandle by Dave, and while the handle work was excellent, the knife itself just felt awful to use. So not only was it a disappointment, it was a disappointment I'd spent months waiting for and lusting after.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    My biggest disappointments have been custom jobs and Shigefusa. They just didn't cut as well as I'd hoped they would. (Hiro AS was a little underwhelming, as well, now that I think about it.)

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    41
    I am myself a bit doubtful about the PM and never had a PM knife. If I go for one it should be Cowry or ZDP but they dont come cheap. SRS 15 is a cheaper option to start with

  6. #6
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Hiromoto AS. Got it through a group buy with a rehandle by Dave, and while the handle work was excellent, the knife itself just felt awful to use. So not only was it a disappointment, it was a disappointment I'd spent months waiting for and lusting after.
    Did you have it thinned or was it just the stock grind?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    Quote Originally Posted by andoniminev View Post
    I am myself a bit doubtful about the PM and never had a PM knife. If I go for one it should be Cowry or ZDP but they dont come cheap. SRS 15 is a cheaper option to start with
    What characteristic(s) is it you are doubtful about?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    My biggest disappointments have been custom jobs and Shigefusa. They just didn't cut as well as I'd hoped they would. (Hiro AS was a little underwhelming, as well, now that I think about it.)
    Which is your best cutter, interesting to know

  9. #9
    Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Did you have it thinned or was it just the stock grind?
    Stock grind. Dave wouldn't do thinning during the second group buy.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    41
    Edge holding and chipping are my biggest concerns. I have knives in white 1 and 2, blue 1and 2 and spicy swedish and never had an issue with chipping. How do these compare to ZDP and Cowry

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts