Quantcast
Which of your expensive knives disappointed you(or steel)? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which of your expensive knives disappointed you(or steel)?

I've used both grinds and while the stock grind is a bit of a clunker, Dave's work turned it into a fantastic cutter. Hint, hint.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I've used both grinds and while the stock grind is a bit of a clunker, Dave's work turned it into a fantastic cutter. Hint, hint.
    I sold it within 4 hours of getting it. I seriously enjoyed using my Henckels more than that knife.

Quote Originally Posted by andoniminev View Post
    Which is your best cutter, interesting to know
    That's a tough question. Different knives cut a little differently. The other problem with answering the question is I often modify my knives in one way or another. If I could only have one stock knife and not allow myself to change it in any way... I'd probably choose a Gesshin/Ashi or Suisin but it would be a tough call. I haven't used my Gengetsu enough to allow it into the running but that might be the one. If I could only take one custom job, it would have to be a Devin... or a Rottman... or a tk59, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by andoniminev View Post
    Edge holding and chipping are my biggest concerns. I have knives in white 1 and 2, blue 1and 2 and spicy swedish and never had an issue with chipping. How do these compare to ZDP and Cowry
    That's a complicated question. I will say that I have some PM steel blade and I don't have a problem with chipping. Edge holding is far superior to white and blue steel, in general. A lot of it depends on the angle at which you are sharpening and the hardness of the blades. Harder is chippier. In general, the big advantage to carbon steels is edge keeness and ease of sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Stock grind. Dave wouldn't do thinning during the second group buy.
    I have thinned my bosses Hiromoto out considerably and finally have it sharpened where the AS holds and takes an edge like I feel it should. Took about 8 sessions starting at 400 and thinning each time. Cuts everything like buttah.

Sorry didn't finish the thread...saw that Theory said the same thing...not trying to beat a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Define "expensive."

Kagayaki VG-10 gyuoto. I think it's pretty much turned me off to VG-10 for life. It seemed expensive at the time, since it was my first gyuto...
    +1 but was tojiro DP. Just not a fan of VG-10.

The only one that ever really disappointed was a WildFire Cutlery Thai cleaver I ordered many years ago. The bolster was loose, the Handle shrunken, and the blade was essentially a piece of flat stock with an edge added to the last millimeter with no taper in any direction. It was pathetic. Sent it back and got a replacement that at least had the bolster fixed and handle fixed. The rest of the knife had the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    I have thinned my bosses Hiromoto out considerably and finally have it sharpened where the AS holds and takes an edge like I feel it should. Took about 8 sessions starting at 400 and thinning each time. Cuts everything like buttah.
    Sounds almost like you bought a blank and ground in your own geometry. To me, that means Hiros are stinkers, OOTB just like A-types (at least the old ones). The difference is a lot of folks tout Hiros but everybody knows you have to thin an A-type.

much more awesomer
    I've so far only bought into the Masamoto mystique, and I'm very pleased. Thankfully I'll now avoid the Hiromoto mystique. LOL
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

VG-10 Kasumi. Bought it years ago when not knowing better and getting into Japanese knives. Really don't like the thing. But then again, I've never held a Damascus VG-10 that I've liked.