Quantcast
Which of your expensive knives disappointed you(or steel)? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which of your expensive knives disappointed you(or steel)?

Although not what I would consider expensive by todays standards....My very first real Japanese knife was a Moritaka 180mm AS Santoku, and it cost me more than I had paid for any other knife up to that time. It was a massive let down. Not only did it chip on everything, but it had some sort of coating that made the food taste horrible. When I finally got the coating off, the KU finish came off quite abruptly afterward. Then once I started sharpening it, a huge hole near the heel appeared. It was just one problem after another.
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Define "expensive."

Kagayaki VG-10 gyuoto. I think it's pretty much turned me off to VG-10 for life. It seemed expensive at the time, since it was my first gyuto...
    They were having a bad day I guess. My Kagayaki VG-10 is made of the best VG-10 I've ever seen, good HT I suppose. Great F&F in its price range. Sharpening VG-10 is an art in itself I must admit, and not that rewarding. Still love it for acid fruit; don't want to dull my carbon favourites...

Quote Originally Posted by cwrightthruya View Post
    Although not what I would consider expensive by todays standards....My very first real Japanese knife was a Moritaka 180mm AS Santoku, and it cost me more than I had paid for any other knife up to that time. It was a massive let down. Not only did it chip on everything, but it had some sort of coating that made the food taste horrible. When I finally got the coating off, the KU finish came off quite abruptly afterward. Then once I started sharpening it, a huge hole near the heel appeared. It was just one problem after another.
    Wabi sabi bro.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Wabi sabi bro.

Carter...three times! Each time I thought I just got a dud and they were so well praised I tried again, and again... Underwhelming and way over hyped. (the blue was okay, but the white bites)

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Carter...three times! Each time I thought I just got a dud and they were so well praised I tried again, and again... Underwhelming and way over hyped. (the blue was okay, but the white bites)
    I maintain to the day that TK's 270(ish) Carter HG is the best cutter I've ever used. Maybe I have low expectations?

A takagi honyaki (blue #1); cheap handle and rivals the german knives in terms of thickness behind the edge. I've been thinning it out and cutting performance has improved significantly, but I still have a ways to go before it can even match my ichimonji tkc

Masamoto HC. I was still using my mac pro and tojiro dp at the time and was looking to upgrade and try out carbon at the same time. Really didnt like the handle on the HC, it was way too heavy...I wasnt nearly as good at sharpening then as I am now-maybe i never unlocked its full potential. who knows.

This may come with some criticism...DT ITK 270. The steel cut performed well, as did the grind, but this knife's specific profile was off. One of the board members referred to it as "clunking"...

...I'm sure this is not an issue with Devin's knives in general but sadly for this knife it was.

Ray Rogers 10" custom chef knife in 01. Spent a lot of time working with him on it and when I got it it looked okay, the handle was a giant block and the blade was flat ground, no distal taper, wedged cutting garlic and every thing stuck to it. when you put it on the stones it felt sticky like taffy. emailed him about it and never ever got a reply back. have had it for 15 years now and haven't used it but a half dozen times. It sucks, the matching paring knife to this day was the best paring knife I have ever used. (the ex got it though) go figure.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+ Reply to Thread