Quantcast
Beginner looking for a chef's knife - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner looking for a chef's knife

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Funny, I use the "finger along the spine" thing almost always, especially with lighter/longer knives and precise cutting. I don't pull the finger back to a more "classic" pinch grip unless I'm really needing an extra push. Different strokes, lol.
    That is funny. Different Strokes for different folks.

Do you cut more at the tip or heel?

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2hill View Post
    Do you cut more at the tip or heel?
    Definitely at the tip, or within a few inches of it. I tend to crawl my fingers down the spine so that a longer knife becomes "shorter" as appropriate for whatever I'm doing, and really only pull back to a full pinch using the heel when I'm doing a large volume of product at once (or chopping something huge and tough). If I'm just doing one onion with a 270, my pointer finger is touching the spine about halfway down it's length.

welcome
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    welcome, it looks like you have a tough choice just between the 3 you posted. I have not used either of them so I'll let those that know say their piece.

I like Sakai and the misono with the dragon. I am sure any of those will make you happy. Personally i like my stainless Sakai which you can request from the seller. I prefer the low maintenance of stainless. I have a 270mm. I don't know your preference there is a thread here on patina if you like a knife in the materials you listed.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...highlight=Blue
    Best of luck I think whichever you choose you will be happy.

Thanks for that link Deckhand. Is it possible to avoid the more extreme patina effects as seen in those photos without extreme effort? The blushish oil-like sheen doesn't bother me, but some of the more 'skanky rust' appearances were a bit of a turnoff!

Yep, just wipe the blade after use and you should avoid rust entirely.

Out of the three you've shortlisted I've used the misono and the normal - not extra thin - Sakai yusuke and like them both.

You're choice there is between super thin and light, and a western handled knife that will feel a but more solid. Both perform exceptionally well and will be leaps and bounds passed anything you've used before.

I've never used the Takayuki.

A friend questioned whether they'd be too thin for 'roast duties' - i.e. cutting through pumpkin and doing carving. Not that there's a lot of that around here - once a week at most.

+ Reply to Thread