Gray Kunz Spoons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Messy Jesse

Reaction score
A good buddy of mine is in New York and I begged him to pick me up some Gray Kunz spoons.

Who else digs on these? Anything better out there?

OK seriously, I gotta ask... what is the big deal with these? It's just a spoon. Right?

how are the kunz copies on CKTG? they are at good price by the dozen.

OK seriously, I gotta ask... what is the big deal with these? It's just a spoon. Right?

They are a very well considered spoon.

They are just the right size, shape and depth of bowl, food just jumps onto it.

The edges are beveled so that it is less likely to spill liquid out the sides, and pours straight off the point.

The handle is curved to fit you hand just right.

Its balanced well.

Its pretty.

go on jbprince.com and pick up a couple. No need to have someone pick them up from NY. The CKTG copy is very similar. The bowl is larger and deeper. After using the kunz spoon for so long I found myself scraping the pan with the spoon while basting.

I really like mine. I use them all the time. That being said I had to buy a few for minimum shipping. So I bought two large and two small. Never use the smalls. Just buy the large ones.

They are a very well considered spoon.

They are just the right size, shape and depth of bowl, food just jumps onto it.

The edges are beveled so that it is less likely to spill liquid out the sides, and pours straight off the point.

The handle is curved to fit you hand just right.

Its balanced well.

Its pretty.

x2

JB Prince. And I agree that large is the way to go and I find having a couple available is great. I don't think there is anything super special about them; they just seem to be the right size and shape.

I love my kunz spoons. They are perfectly balanced and feel great in your hands when plateing. Highly reccommend

I picked up one of these at JB Prince and it is great. They also have another cheaper spoon which is also just as good IMO. its a bit larger and half the price. The cheaper one also has one with perforations.

Prince is closed Saturdays, so I guess I won't head over there if I go to the Korin ECG in October...

The large and the large slotted are standard on me every day, those and a nogent peltex slotted spatula are my favourite kitchen tools.

I haven't bought any of the Kunz spoons or clones (although I've used them) but I've collected a dozen or so keepers over the years of difderent size and shapes for different purposes. A couple came from Granny, some found under the dish machine, a couple at a yard sale, etc. I like being able to match the spoon to the task.
But for general use by your line cooks, I think the Kunz style spoons are pretty versatile and user friendly.

I'm really into the Richcraft perforated spoons with the cut off tip, called a roux spoon I hear... genius design for getting right to the edge of something.

I'm really into the Richcraft perforated spoons with the cut off tip, called a roux spoon I hear... genius design for getting right to the edge of something.

Did a cursory google search. Do you know where they are sold on the Internet?

I'm just a home cook and don't have near the utility that pro cooks have with these spoons, but I have a Del damascus spoon and one of the knock-offs from CK to Go, and I use them all of the time. Those spoons are some of my favorite kitchen tools. Last night I used them both to make giant quenelles and my new favorite use for my Del spoon is scraping the milk off the cob once the kernels are removed. I used to use the back of a knife and it always made quite a mess, but these larger bowl spoons are great for doing that job.

k.

I'm just a home cook and don't have near the utility that pro cooks have with these spoons, but I have a Del damascus spoon and one of the knock-offs from CK to Go, and I use them all of the time. Those spoons are some of my favorite kitchen tools. Last night I used them both to make giant quenelles and my new favorite use for my Del spoon is scraping the milk off the cob once the kernels are removed. I used to use the back of a knife and it always made quite a mess, but these larger bowl spoons are great for doing that job.
k.

Your Del spoon is bad a$$! Ah yes,one day I hope to have one like it...

Short answer: I use them for just about everything

I just buy vintage spoons because so many have the nuns and they're easily lost

Just out of curiosity, do these spoons have a nice shape for making quinelles? I know with good technique you can make them with almost any spoon, but having that nice deep(but not too wide) shape makes everything come out so perfect, not to mention more quickly and efficiently.

Finding spoons like this is tough, in Europe they seem more prevalent but my collection of spoons is dwindling now that I work in a bigger kitchen. I've looked at buying them straight from Europe but unless I wanted to buy an enormous quantity it seems like shipping costs would make it ridiculous.

I hope someone identifies with what I am saying so I dont sound like a complete idiot.:spin chair:

Back