Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jvanis View Post
    Randy... sounds like there is some love out here for a pairing group buy... just saying
    He's also a heck of a nice guy. Lucky enough to live about 1.5 hrs away.

Couldn't imagine a more skilled, nicer knife maker out there!!!

Peace
    Joe_breezy

Quote Originally Posted by jvanis View Post
    Breezyjr... I am in the same boat... the more I use Randy's work... the more I fall in love. I even told him I thought about just setting up a direct deposit into his account the way I am going . The 240 production gyuto is what I find myself going to a LOT. So much that I ordered something else from him... and while that project is still in the works... I picked up the Nakiri.... holy goodness. I am probably so far from doing this thing justice in terms of skill... but it is by far the best knife I own by a long shot!

Not only F&F being pretty much perfect, the handle is nothing short of a masterpiece! The blade... I was dicing up 2 peppers this morning for an omlette, and I barely had to touch them before the blade dropped straight through (I think I need to work on the claw a bit more or a nasty pic may be soon approaching)

At some point I am going to have to get on his list for a 240 if not a 270ish gyuto.

Randy... sounds like there is some love out here for a pairing group buy... just saying
    Thanks for the update on the Nakiri. I knew when I was done with that one. It was gona be a awesome cutter! Just something about the knife. Hard to put my finger on what. I think its a combination of things that just worked right and the stars aligned. I dont know.

Blessings
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Breezyjr View Post
    He's also a heck of a nice guy. Lucky enough to live about 1.5 hrs away.

Couldn't imagine a more skilled, nicer knife maker out there!!!

Peace
    Joe_breezy
    Thanks Joe! Im glad to call you friend!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

So... back to the Kiritsuke.. After lots of grinding and working on this blade.

I gota go back to the grinder and do a redesign! Knife making can be a cruel mistress sometimes! I was so happy with the first redesign and grinds.
    What a BUZZ KILL! lol

Rock on.
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

OK, After a redesign and some modifications.I am hopeful that this time its gona turn into a KNIFE!

Back to the stones and then Ill know for sure .

If this doesnt work. Its going in the WALL OF SHAME!! where all my mess ups go to die!!

Rock ON!

Availible Knives

NOT THE WALL!!! :o

Chef I think I got it!! But am not counting o anything just yet.. Got a question for you.. Do they have a name for a shorter in height kiritsuke shape single bevel blade?

Availible Knives

Mukimono..... usually 180mm - 210mm in length.

Quote Originally Posted by cheflarge View Post
    Mukimono..... usually 180mm - 210mm in length.
    Well this one is at about 250mm and is about 33 tall. The tip is a little higher then original profile.

And its CRAZY sharp. I totally understand why one would make a grind like this. but "making" a grind like this is trickier then one might think.

Keep your fingers crossed. Im at exact same point where I was yesterday B4 things went south on me. So Im not gona say its gone end up as a knife YET. But I am sorta glad that I had the chance to refine and re refine this . I learned alot.

Question for you single bevel guys and sharpening gurus. I realize there is at least one or two holes in my stone lineup. The one I am most in need of is a course stone to removing steel. Like re facing a single bevel or thinning a old knife. What would you recommend? A DMT or stones and what ones?

Availible Knives

OK so here she is.. After a few redesigns and learning a few things about this style knife. I have finally got a functional blade that is UBER sharp. possibly the sharpest edge I have ever made.

Specs are listed above in one of my resent posts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re design 003 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	22358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re design 018 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	22352  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re design 017 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	22353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re design 016 (800x533).jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	22354  

Name:	Re design 013 (800x533).jpg 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	22355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re design 011 (800x533).jpg 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	22356  

Name:	Re design 004 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	22357  

Availible Knives

That looks amazing! I am always amazed at what you can do!