Quantcast
Whats on the bench. - Page 45
Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: Whats on the bench.

Im not 100% sure about what your asking. I can try and explain the grinds on this one.

The blade has a nice taper. from around 3mm down to about 1 mm where the tip starts to drop. On the R hand side there is a flat grind. like a chisel grind. after this was as flat as I could make it on the stones. I then worked the edge area more. so about 1/3 of the bevel closest to the edge has a very slight steeper angle then the primary grinds. On the Left side. there is a concave or hollow grind. that is the full height of the blade from the spine to the edge. this is only seen on the heel shot down near the edge. Because of the tang. You can see where this grind starts on the photo of the left side. Combined. these grinds make the edge angles amazingly steep. . I then sharpened the blade further with a very slight micro bevel at the edge to aid a little is the edge stability. . and de bured by laying the knife flat on a 8K stone. I dont know the technical term or Japanese term for this type of edge. Or is there even is one. sry., What I do know is the edge is just stupid sharp! and the knife is going to cut well ad will be amazing for some cutting tasks and not as good or not able to be used at all for others.

Sry to get all long winded. If I KNEW all the proper terms I could of just answered Yes or No. lol Such is life. Im learning new suff and having a BLAST. and to me thats what its all about!

The knife will be going to a friend and member here and I am sure he will be giving us a update once he has it and has had a chance both to use and sharpen it.

OK so as long as I am typing. I am gona tell ya about the handle on this one. Because it worthy!! We selected some super figured Musk Ox horn for the main part of the handle and went with a Malachite Ferrule. And I will decide on the spacers when making the knife. Its a VERY unique combination of materials that I have not seen it on any other knife EVER! Yet I can already tell ya. Its gona be HOT!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

WORDS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF 245 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	22787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF 255 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	22790  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF 262 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	22788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damascus hunter with Musk ox horn 002 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	22789  

Name:	Damascus hunter with Musk ox horn 013 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	22792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damascus hunter with Musk ox horn 003 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	22791  

Name:	Damascus hunter with Musk ox horn 008 (800x533).jpg 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	22793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damascus hunter with Musk ox horn 019 (800x533).jpg 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	22794  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Those are darn sexy!

That is one lucky owner... <grin>

Breezyjr

Leaves me wordless

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Folder Friday! Here are 2 I just finished up!

Both have Tribal pattern HHH Damascus with African Black wood bolsters. One is Snake wood. and the other is Stabilized birch burl. Both are EPIC and no matter how nice then look here in the photos. They are Sooo much better in person! The liners are titanium and fully file worked 360* around and the thumb studs are inlayed with the wood used for the handles. Snake wood and Birch.

Both are available. Message me or email for pricing or info.

Thanks and God Bless!
    Randy

Name:	Folder Friday 004 (1024x683).jpg 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	22823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folder Friday 035 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	22824  

Name:	Folder Friday 054 (1024x683).jpg 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	22827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folder Friday 038 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	22825  

Name:	Folder Friday 052 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	22826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folder Friday 064 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	22828  

Availible Knives

Its been a while but I figured I would share a couple images of 2 Im working on this week.

First up. a Feather 240mm gyuto. and second a San Mai 240mm gyuto.

Name:	whats on the bench 002 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	24035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whats on the bench 003 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	24034  

Availible Knives

Thinning out a PrepMonster For Chef Large. Its a German blade that has been worked on a few times over the years. And I put it on a diet and fixed the edge profile. This think was thicker then a butter knife behind the edge when I started on her.

Here it is B4 adding the edge bevels.

Name:	WIP stainless Prepmonster 011 (800x534).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	24152  

Availible Knives

Oh hell yes!!! 😁

Shes a bit skinnier. And the edge profile s now back to where it should be. Ill hand deliver this one to ya this weekend!

Availible Knives

Just received the Greman prep monster. All I can say is WOO HOO!!! Randy did a spectacular job of thinning and reprofiling this beast. It is now ready for many more years of service. Thank you Randy Haas...... YOU RULE!!!