Quantcast
No Burr
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Burr

No Burr

I tried searching for this info but "No Burr" brings up a lot of hits!

I am struggling to get a burr on my 1000/6000 King stone.

I am starting with a Chosera 400 and had no problems getting a burr on both sides of the blade. On the 1000 side, it seems like all I am doing is getting a mirror polish on the edge. But no burr.

So far I have had the same consistent experience with a Kikuichi-monji paring knife, Nenohi petty and Suisin INOX honayaki suji. I think all 3 of those are pretty hard knives.

Basically I am stroking on the 1000 until I get bored and stopping. I have not progressed up to the 6000 yet. I do my knives one all on one stone at a time.

The knives have gone from dull to hair shaving sharp so I am getting that progress.

I don't want to spend half a day on each side of a knife waiting to get a burr. Am I always supposed to get a burr?

Thanks,

-AJ

I keep a king 1k/6k at the beach house, and use it on a Hiro G3, CCK, Wustoff santoku and Sab slicer.....I can usually raise a burr along the entire length of the blade within 10 min.
    I'd suggest you lift the spine a hair

Verify with a marker that you reached the very edge. Different stones, different body position, and the angle is slightly different.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Are you using the magic marker 'trick' to see if you are hitting the edge?

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    ...it seems like all I am doing is getting a mirror polish on the edge.
    Rare but could it be, not enough pressure?

Some commenters seem to have missed OP's point that his knives go from dull to shaving sharp: of course he's reaching the edge. I haven't looked for a burr for a couple of years now, and my blades are also satisfyingly sharp. I think when your technique gets to a certain point, burrs become irrelevant. They may be there at lower grits, they may not. The end result is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    Some commenters seem to have missed OP's point that his knives go from dull to shaving sharp: of course he's reaching the edge. I haven't looked for a burr for a couple of years now, and my blades are also satisfyingly sharp. I think when your technique gets to a certain point, burrs become irrelevant. They may be there at lower grits, they may not. The end result is what matters.
    I beg to differ. "Shaving sharp" is a pretty meaningless term. You can shave your arm with a 400 grit edge. The OP may or may not be hitting the edge at higher grits.

1000 grit burrs can be hard to feel, so that may be the issue, and if that's the case, the OP does need to use the marker "trick" to make sure he is hitting the edge.

Rick

If the burr is really thin, you may not be feeling it but it will be there. Check it out under a loupe.

One of the advantages of carbon knives is that the marker trick is automatically built in: the patina.

Marker comes off all the way to the edge. I'm pretty satisfied with that. But I certainly cannot feel a burr. :-(

-AJ

+ Reply to Thread