Quantcast
Stainless at restaurants - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless at restaurants

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    When I took the test for my Food Handler's card for the Sushi Bar I worked at(it was a new county), they had an extra section that was just about sushi. It pretty much was like "Don't use rice from yesterday, that's not allowed. Other than that, you just do your crazy thing and don't talk about it."

There are things that, given enough time, the regulators may realize don't matter at all. As I've said in a video before, something has gone terribly wrong with the health inspectors think this is a good place to prepare things people will put INSIDE their bodies:

(from a place I worked at, that got a Zero on Health Inspection)

And yet this is considered HAZARDOUS:

OMG! Carbon steel! Wood handle! End grain board! Machi on the knife! You murderer!
    LOLOL So true. But what scares me the most though is how some people think that "don't leave your knives wet" means "don't wash your knives." We have gotten the smelliest knives in for sharpening, where there will be little pieces of food left on the blade or you can just touch the knife your hand will smell like fish for HOURS.

... yea, I have no plans to go to their restaurants anytime soon.

I've been lucky most of the time, when inspectors checked my table and my knives they where happy to see clean gear. Never mentioned a thing about my CCK cleaver, dry towel, or other no-no's (by speculation). I think it has alot to so with the individaul inspector as well as the cities past reputation for restraunt "health". If the city got publicly embarased in the news I'm sure the inspectors would be anal about every little detail for quite some time

When I took the test for my Food Handler's card for the Sushi Bar I worked at(it was a new county), they had an extra section that was just about sushi. It pretty much was like "Don't use rice from yesterday, that's not allowed. Other than that, you just do your crazy thing and don't talk about it."...

Eamon, one difference might be those Dexters can go through the dish washer and the inspectors like that.?

-AJ

When I took the test for my Food Handler's card for the Sushi Bar I worked at(it was a new county), they had an extra section that was just about sushi. It pretty much was like "Don't use rice from yesterday, that's not allowed. Other than that, you just do your crazy thing and don't talk about it."

There are things that, given enough time, the regulators may realize don't matter at all. As I've said in a video before, something has gone terribly wrong with the health inspectors think this is a good place to prepare things people will put INSIDE their bodies:

OMG! Carbon steel! Wood handle! End grain board! Machi on the knife! You murderer!
    So true... I've removed prep stations and poly boards from restaurants here that seems to have 10 years of meat goo buildup and smelled like the dumpster in an institutional kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Eamon, one difference might be those Dexters can go through the dish washer and the inspectors like that.?

-AJ
    Yep, that's the main idea. You can tell, the dishwasher cleans them really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    But what scares me the most though is how some people think that "don't leave your knives wet" means "don't wash your knives." We have gotten the smelliest knives in for sharpening, where there will be little pieces of food left on the blade or you can just touch the knife your hand will smell like fish for HOURS.

So true!!!

I've only used carbons at work many yrs.Gyutos,cleavers & Yanagi's.As far as I know no body ever got sick eating food I prepared.Always use FIFO & food safety guidelines.Most people get sick from spoiled food left out too long or reusing yesterdays prep.We installed bathroom hand sanitizers for all employee's to use.

In chinatown Carbon Cleavers are used alot.Asians here in Hawaii got me into carbons.

My rule for going out to eat is skip slow establishments esp. if they have large menu's.Still it's a crapshoot all it takes is one person trying to use up old stock that enough bacteria has had time to florish.

Proper care is proper care. That end grain board would not look so good if used every day in a pro kitchen. When equipment gets worn out, you have to repair or replace it. If you can't take care of a plastic board, what makes you think that place and its employees can take care of an endgrain board? If you can't afford to resurface or replace a plastic board, you won't be replacing $$$ end grain boards either.

In regards to the towel issue, the only thing I have heard is that any wet towels have to be in sanitizer buckets. Dry towels are the only ones allowed out on your counter, but no towels wet or dry allowed on your board.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The point I was making was that the focus is not on proper care, only on "acceptable materials". You can neglect a tool that has crud encrusted in it, filth in all the ribs of the handle grips, gouges and stains, etc etc...and you are doing great. A brand new knife with a gap at the machi or a ho wood handle, you'll have to have a talk with the inspector...he almost demerited the sushi bar I worked at for using a Doi Yanagiba.

+ Reply to Thread