Quantcast
Sharpening knives out of the box - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening knives out of the box

Carters come plenty sharp OOTB... But I'm still a noob sharpener.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I've bought plenty of knives that were dull OOTB but still had scratches near the bevels from sloppy wheel work (hello Masamoto), and also bought three Carters that were screaming sharp and *didn't* have scratches near the bevels (I'd go out on a limb and say that's true with a Martell knife as well).

"Not wanting to get scratches on the knife" might be the excuse, but it's a lazy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    ..."Not wanting to get scratches on the knife" might be the excuse, but it's a lazy one.
    Absolutely.

And to totally beleaguer the point: not being able to hold a steady angle long enough to sharpen a knife without scratching it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the maker's ability to grind a knife in the first place.

Maybe I just don't get sharp, but the 2 Japanese knives that I bought came pretty darn sharp. My first was a Takeda 210 Gyuto, and it chipped the first time I cut something because of the high edge on it. I put a microbevel on the edge and it has been fine since. The next one was a Tanaka dammy with ironwood and mosaic pins. It had NO scratches and the kind of edge that leaves you trying to find where the blood is coming from.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I've bought plenty of knives that were dull OOTB but still had scratches near the bevels from sloppy wheel work (hello Masamoto), and also bought three Carters that were screaming sharp and *didn't* have scratches near the bevels (I'd go out on a limb and say that's true with a Martell knife as well).

"Not wanting to get scratches on the knife" might be the excuse, but it's a lazy one.

I agree. But you know, there always excepts and there are some companies that put the initial blade on each knife before being shipped out and there are some that don't. While I was at Knife Systems this time around, I watch Mr. Aoki's son do the honbazuke (putting the real edge) process on each one of the western style knives. He had a little sharpening section for him behind a massive pile of knives, where he gave our apprentice knife sharpener tips. I was amazed and wondered how many knives he sharpens a day. But even then, Korin sharpens them for anyone who is interested.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Nice segway.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    But even then, Korin sharpens them for anyone who is interested.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Nice segway.

Huh?!

Dude Segway totally wins the word appropriation aspect of branding.

It'll be changed in the dictionary in a couple years, I am sure of it.