carter old stock

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Just read the recent newsletter from Carter and turns out that he is having a sale starting tomorrow thru the 11th. You will need the newsletter for details, but I guess he really is trying to clear out the ao super to make way for the white 1. Any opinions on the steel change...thought blue super was pretty good stuff...I've not used white 1. Like to get one of his nakiri's though not sure whether to wait for the white or get the blue super while it is still around.

Cheers

I got the same email. Does anyone know if "S" in the SKU# is shiro or is shiro "W", making blue Super "S"? I see a few things I want, like the honyaki honesuki and those sujihiki at the bottom of the page.

White is W and blue super is S.

I much prefer the way Carter does blue. His white is meh.

I like then both, but his blue is, imo, one of the best all-round steel that Ive used.

someone send me a newsletter, I'm on the mailing list, but no letter.

You have to enter in the coupon code BLADE12 at checkout to get the 25% off and then select 'Will Pick up' for shipping to get free shipping.

Think it is working now...scored a nakiri...first carter and I am stoked!

If youre having problems, just call and talk to Jason. He's always been very helpful. -Especially if youre trying to decide between a couple knives: its helpful to have someone who is actually holding the knife describe it to you.

Im glad that this sale is giving people the chance to become Carter owners.
FWIW, I think that the "basic" SFGW or whatever the stainless clad line w/ simple 2 rivet black western handle is called is one of the best values in the hand-forged knife world. -all performance; no glitz.
I got one for free and was originally thinking id sell or give it away, but its still on my knife rack and id probably sell my high-grade first.

If youre having problems, just call and talk to Jason. He's always been very helpful. -Especially if youre trying to decide between a couple knives: its helpful to have someone who is actually holding the knife describe it to you.

Im glad that this sale is giving people the chance to become Carter owners.
FWIW, I think that the "basic" SFGW or whatever the stainless clad line w/ simple 2 rivet black western handle is called is one of the best values in the hand-forged knife world. -all performance; no glitz.
I got one for free and was originally thinking id sell or give it away, but its still on my knife rack and id probably sell my high-grade first.

+1. I paid something like 125 for a 6 sun funayuki and it cuts just as well as anything else I own.

+1. I paid something like 125 for a 6 sun funayuki and it cuts just as well as anything else I own.

+2

Had a Carter high grade funy in W and sold it. My 6 sun SFGZ riveted handle AS cuts just as well and I find that pedestrian black handle amazingly comfortable. I much prefer it to the high grade I had.

Yeah, i really like the plain black handles... they remind me of work shoes: not pretty, but comphy and durable.

Well I'm going to have to include my love for the SFGZ too. It's just a plain ole piece of cutlery that works. It's easy to get screaming sharp and stays sharp long enough for home use.

So I broke down and bought a 4.3 sun funayuki. Who needs cable for a mo.?

Havnt had cable for 7 years, but I have a lot of knives. -I havent missed the cable.

Likewise. I bought a 5.4 sun SFGZ WS funayuki for my ex-gf. I wish I had put the money I spent for her knife toward buying one for myself. Great cutting knife and, surprisingly, kept a good edge for quite a while.

Well, my Carter Nakiri is shipping today and now for the painful waiting process. Question, since only the two rivet handle was available that is what I ordered. How difficult would conversion to a wa-handle be? Has anyone done this on one of these Carters? Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

Well, my Carter Nakiri is shipping today and now for the painful waiting process. Question, since only the two rivet handle was available that is what I ordered. How difficult would conversion to a wa-handle be? Has anyone done this on one of these Carters? Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

I thought the same thing when I ordered my first one. And I'm sure that the handle wizards on here could do it, but once I had it in my hands and started using it, I decided that I really like it and it's beautiful in it's own way. At this point I'd have a hard time killing something that's served so well / has no flaw other than being simple and utilitarian.

Back