Quantcast
For the gun folks.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: For the gun folks....

You have to stop by the range and fire a Glock. Any caliber Glock will do the trick.
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Dave, I have spent many years shooting just about every caliber and type firearm, have done a lot of serious training with some of the best instructors, and have carried a firearm at all times for decades. Here are a few things I have learned.

By far the most important thing in gaining a defensive capability is training. Virtually everyone has an opinion on the subject of firearms, but all those change once they have some good training. The best training is with Randy Cain, www.cumberlandtactics.com. There is no comparison. One class with Randy will teach you more than you can imagine.

In the interim, here are a few opinions shared by virtually everyone who knows the subject. First, for home defense, nothing can touch a shotgun. Not even close.

Outside the house, a major caliber rifle or shotgun with good sights sighted in with good slugs is far better than any handgun.

For concealed carry, a 1911 .45 is unmatched, however, anything you can shoot accurately and quickly under pressure is better than something bigger you can't shoot. If you can shoot a Glock 9mm, by all means use it. Just be ready and able to deliver head shots. Here again training is the answer.

If you talk to Randy about training, which I strongly recommend, he will invite you to a class with what you have or even loan you pistols for the class. Once you have some training, and see what other good shooters in the class can do with what equipment, then you are ready to consider what to buy. The class will save you a lot of money in the long run, as well as give you a real understanding of defensive capability.

Good luck!

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

By the way, if you decide to take a class, I would be happy to loan you holsters, magazines, magazine pouches, gunbelts, etc., and, if you can stop by here, a few representative pistols. Just let me know.

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

I have auto loaders in all three calibers. If you are thinking of something very small and consealable, I would go 9mm. If you are thinking of a full size pistol I dont think it really matters much in reality. As someone above stated, the important thing is that you have the gun and are proficient with it, if and when you happen to need it.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I can attest that Keith knows what he is talking about. I appreciate all his help and guidance, i've been looking into gun classes outside the military realm because of him.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    By far the most important thing in gaining a defensive capability is training. Virtually everyone has an opinion on the subject of firearms, but all those change once they have some good training.
    ^^^ what he said.

Training, confidence and mindset are more important than the caliber of the projectile or the piece launching it.

I go to Gunsite

DVC

Edit: as might be apparent from my username, I carry a Browning P35 (HighPower) chambered in 9mm, loaded with modern hollowpoints. I like the aesthetics of the weapon and am quite proficient with it.
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmbhp View Post
    ^^^ what he said.

Training, confidence and mindset are more important than the caliber of the projectile or the piece launching it.

I go to Gunsite

DVC

Edit: as might be apparent from my username, I carry a Browning P35 (HighPower) chambered in 9mm, loaded with modern hollowpoints. I like the aesthetics of the weapon and am quite proficient with it.
    Gunsite is the granddaddy of them all. I went there when Jeff Cooper was there, and it was fantastic. Randy Cain was one of my instructors there.

The P35 is marvelous; I have a soft spot in my heart for it. If I had to carry a nine, the Highpower would be it.

Keith

As always you guys are a wealth of information and generous to a fault. Thanks especially to Keith for your offers but I doubt that I'll be taking any courses in the foreseeable future. Sure I'd love to go that route - yup I'd LOVE it indeed - it's just that I'm saving pennies as it is for the basics and as it is the unfortunate reality is that a course like that becomes a luxury to a guy like me.

I carry a .380 in my pocket at all times. I have 9mm in my car and at my bed side. Anyone who says a 9 isn't deadly obviously has never been shot. A .22 in the dome will kill you instantly. Plus a nine typically carries 15 to 17 rounds, whereas a .40 usually tops out at ten. I have a 30 round clip I will take to war against anything....

I think the reliability of the gun in particular is more important than the caliber.
    I've owned two glocks that I found to be rather touchy; squeeze too hard, no bang....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    Gunsite is the granddaddy of them all. I went there when Jeff Cooper was there, and it was fantastic. Randy Cain was one of my instructors there.

The P35 is marvelous; I have a soft spot in my heart for it. If I had to carry a nine, the Highpower would be it.

Keith
    Proud to say that the Colonel's signature is on my 250 certificate. He rode me pretty hard about carrying a 9, but I shot the only perfect/clean target during the final day's school drills and was runner-up in the shoot-off
    Anthony