For the gun folks....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask you gun toting folks what your opinion is on the great hand gun caliber debate. Do you go 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.....what's your preference and why?

Oh and I realize that this can turn into a religious/political type debate very easily but I'd appreciate cool heads here. Thanks :)

Dave, are you looking to primarily conceal carry, range/target shoot, or at home protection?

Dave, are you looking to primarily conceal carry, range/target shoot, or at home protection?

Well all three are picks for me but CCW & home protection are the most important ones. I've had a lot of time with the Berretta M9 (and Taurus platforms) many years ago so I'm more than familiar with 9mm characteristics in both FMJ & JHP rounds and what I can expect there but I've never fired either .40 S&W or .45 ACP and I have an interest mostly in the .45 for my needs. I really have no preference though and I've heard all of the debates over the years too so I get where everyone is coming from and have nothing to add there myself. What I'm really looking for most from you guys is what you choose and why, I'm just curious what a knifenut would select.

Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what your significant other chooses and why as well.

Dave, you mention "gun toting folks", so I'm taking that to mean that you are asking about concealed carry. The answer then becomes "the largest caliber that you can shoot accurately and can comfortably carry all the time". If you don't have it when you need it, it doesn't matter what caliber it is. A .32 ACP in your hand is better than a .40 S&W back home because it's too big and heavy for you to have with you.

If you are looking for some size and weight comparisons, check out this chart:

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Rick

I am a 45 acp lover. It is big enough to stop, and it has a "friendly" feel when shooting. The other calibers have a sharper feel that I don't care for. 45s are available in many configurations as well, small compact autoloaders to big honking revolvers. I like revolvers because they have a smoother recoil and I like the simplicity.

I am a smaller guy so I prefer the 9mm.

Love my 40cal. It's the best of both worlds. More stopping power than a 9 but not as big and bulky as a 45.

.45 cal all the way. I'm a big 1911 fan, so that's part of the reason. Similar to what Spike said. IMO, with 9mm you can definetely take your target down, but shot placement plays a larger role. With a .45, there is no doubt. Of course, you still need to hit the target. Additionally, I haven't noticed a large price gap in ammo, always a big arguing point with calibers. Ironically, I am a big fan of the Sig 226, which is 9 or .40 cal, and would like to get one in .40 cal someday. Around here, .40 and 9 mm is easy ammo to pick up, .45 not so much. It's obviously the most popular caliber in my area.

BTW, I don't find my .45 bulky in any way and I've owned/shot 9mm all my adult life.

I had a Kimber for about 10 years in North Carolina that was everything that a .45 should be. I would factor weight and balance into you decision making process in addition to caliber.

I owned a Sig 226 in 9 mm, always wanted it in .40 Also Kimber is a solid choice!

I am a 45 acp lover. It is big enough to stop, and it has a "friendly" feel when shooting. The other calibers have a sharper feel that I don't care for. 45s are available in many configurations as well, small compact autoloaders to big honking revolvers. I like revolvers because they have a smoother recoil and I like the simplicity.

+1 on the revolver, Ruger fan myself

I carry a variety of firearms. Summer carry is a Glock 26, 9mm with 124 +p Speer Gold dots. I also have a Glock 19 I shoot the same ammo in. I can shoot the glock 9mm's quickly and accurately and I used to compete in IDPA with a Glock 17 and 34. Every other season is my VBOB in .45 acp. I have a small S&W Bodyguard .380, but I don't have much faith in that caliber. Sig P239 in .40 or 9mm is an awesome piece. It is a single stack, so the grip fits people very well and is soft to shoot, but still small enough to CCW easily; about the same size as the glock 26. My mom used to shoot my P239 in .40 a lot. My mom now likes shooting her CBOB or Les Baer Commanche in .45acp. Lots of people recommend a small .38 special revolver for women, but the long trigger pull is what most women hate because it is harder to shoot accurately. Look for something like a Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P in 9mm or 40. These have fairly short trigger pulls and can fit many people's hands well. A 1911 is also good, and they can be found in 9mm or .40. In the police shootings I have read about with 9mm or larger ammo, shot placement was the key vs caliber used. Modern bullets generally do well ballistically, so pick a caliber that you can handle and shoot well. 40 and 45 almost cost the same ammo wise, and the 9mm is a bit less expensive. I would also do similar guns between you and your SO so that you can shoot hers and vice versa. Glocks I like in 9mm, but the 40 is a bit snappy and has had issues in the LEO community with lights and stuff. S&W M&P full size in .40 shoots much softer than the glock 23 in .40, very accurate, too and the backstrap is interchangeable to fit more people's hands well. Great pistol! The Compact M&P in .40 is a bit jumpy.

Best advice is to go to a range and rent a few guns/calibers and see what you both like. When my parents started shooting, they both liked the SigPro 9mm, so that is what they got. Then my Dad got a CZ-75 Stainless in 9mm, and my mom got a HK USP 9mm. They much prefered the SA shooting vs a longer DA trigger pull and both of those pistols can be carried in SA mode with a safety on. My dad also has my Sig P239 in .40 now and my mom also has 2 Commander sized 1911's in .45. Go figure!

9mm, even plus P's, in most guns that can handle them shoot accurately and without a ton of recoil. .40's tend to be more snappy recoil wise than the 9mm's, but in some guns, the recoil is well controlled like in the M&P 40, which is a very soft shooter for a .40 pistol. 45 recoil tends to be a slower push, rather than the sharp snap of the 40, but you usually get a single stack or a fatter grip, which may be hard for some to hold. I had a Sig 226ST in .40 that was awesome to shoot, but the grip was just too fat for me. Same with the Beretta 92, but the newer versions have slimmer grips.

Go out and shoot some pistols or at least fondle them at the store, then figure out what you want to buy! 9mm (nod goes to the Plus P), 40 or 45 are all effective for self defense, around the same cost ammo wise and can all be shot well by most people with practice.

I used to be a fan of Glock 9mm.....until I took care of a guy who was shot 9 times with a 9mm, and he walked out of he hospital 4 days later. So, 45 until you can fight your way to a shotgun or a rifle.......

I might know more about CCW than I do about knives.

Depends on the situation. If I'm walking to the corner store (What kinds of neighborhoods have corner stores?) I'll put my hammerless snub .38 in my front right pocket. Pants or jacket depending on the season. (I won't get into the details why)
For every day around town carry, I used to pack a 3in .45 IWB, I found it cumbersome. I have since switched to a Walther PPS in 9mm. It's a slim model and is very comfortable and very concealable. Because I spend at least two days at the range a week I am very comfortable carrying a 9mm with good self defense ammo.

At home, I don't believe in shotguns. (For a number of reasons. One being the mess they make. Ever see someone eviserated by a shotgun at close range? Who's responsible for cleaning that up?) .357 mag Colt King Cobra, 6 inch barrel. No questions about safeties, chambers or mags. Boom.

Well all three are picks for me but CCW & home protection are the most important ones. I've had a lot of time with the Berretta M9 (and Taurus platforms) many years ago so I'm more than familiar with 9mm characteristics in both FMJ & JHP rounds and what I can expect there but I've never fired either .40 S&W or .45 ACP and I have an interest mostly in the .45 for my needs. I really have no preference though and I've heard all of the debates over the years too so I get where everyone is coming from and have nothing to add there myself. What I'm really looking for most from you guys is what you choose and why, I'm just curious what a knifenut would select.

Why not a S&W 625?

-AJ

I'm a revolver fan all the way. Ive had varous 1911 configs from Detonics to full sized GI issues and if I had to carry an auto it would be a 1911 in 45. I like big slow bullets.

But much of this is personal prefference, some like the "crack" of the fast 9's and 40's. I can atest with all heart that I do NOT like the Sig ultra compacts in a 40... so sir I don't, big hands don't mesh with these power sub compacts. But that is me.

Years ago I realized that if it didn't have a cylinder I was just not going to be happy. With my hands and shooting "style" a revolver fit my methods just purfectly. I'm looking at a S&W 5shot 44 spcl for my CCW. My last one was a full sized S&W29 with spc loads and I was very happy with it. So a slightly smaller and easier to cary 5shot should be purfect for me.

Dave what you need to do is get your hands on all of the choices, like at an indoor range that rents, or a bunch of knife knuts you may know that have a few to many :p and see what fits you. Trust me by the time you find the purfect fit it may well be the last thing on the first listing you chose to get. It really comes down to fit and feel, as stated earlier even a pipsqueek in hand is better than the brick thats left at home.

You have to stop by the range and fire a Glock. Any caliber Glock will do the trick.

Dave, I have spent many years shooting just about every caliber and type firearm, have done a lot of serious training with some of the best instructors, and have carried a firearm at all times for decades. Here are a few things I have learned.

By far the most important thing in gaining a defensive capability is training. Virtually everyone has an opinion on the subject of firearms, but all those change once they have some good training. The best training is with Randy Cain, www.cumberlandtactics.com. There is no comparison. One class with Randy will teach you more than you can imagine.

In the interim, here are a few opinions shared by virtually everyone who knows the subject. First, for home defense, nothing can touch a shotgun. Not even close.

Outside the house, a major caliber rifle or shotgun with good sights sighted in with good slugs is far better than any handgun.

For concealed carry, a 1911 .45 is unmatched, however, anything you can shoot accurately and quickly under pressure is better than something bigger you can't shoot. If you can shoot a Glock 9mm, by all means use it. Just be ready and able to deliver head shots. Here again training is the answer.

If you talk to Randy about training, which I strongly recommend, he will invite you to a class with what you have or even loan you pistols for the class. Once you have some training, and see what other good shooters in the class can do with what equipment, then you are ready to consider what to buy. The class will save you a lot of money in the long run, as well as give you a real understanding of defensive capability.

Good luck!

Keith

By the way, if you decide to take a class, I would be happy to loan you holsters, magazines, magazine pouches, gunbelts, etc., and, if you can stop by here, a few representative pistols. Just let me know.

Keith

I have auto loaders in all three calibers. If you are thinking of something very small and consealable, I would go 9mm. If you are thinking of a full size pistol I dont think it really matters much in reality. As someone above stated, the important thing is that you have the gun and are proficient with it, if and when you happen to need it.

By far the most important thing in gaining a defensive capability is training. Virtually everyone has an opinion on the subject of firearms, but all those change once they have some good training.

^^^ what he said.

Training, confidence and mindset are more important than the caliber of the projectile or the piece launching it.

I go to Gunsite

DVC

Edit: as might be apparent from my username, I carry a Browning P35 (HighPower) chambered in 9mm, loaded with modern hollowpoints. I like the aesthetics of the weapon and am quite proficient with it.

^^^ what he said.

Training, confidence and mindset are more important than the caliber of the projectile or the piece launching it.

I go to Gunsite

DVC

Edit: as might be apparent from my username, I carry a Browning P35 (HighPower) chambered in 9mm, loaded with modern hollowpoints. I like the aesthetics of the weapon and am quite proficient with it.

Gunsite is the granddaddy of them all. I went there when Jeff Cooper was there, and it was fantastic. Randy Cain was one of my instructors there.

The P35 is marvelous; I have a soft spot in my heart for it. If I had to carry a nine, the Highpower would be it.

Keith

As always you guys are a wealth of information and generous to a fault. Thanks especially to Keith for your offers but I doubt that I'll be taking any courses in the foreseeable future. Sure I'd love to go that route - yup I'd LOVE it indeed - it's just that I'm saving pennies as it is for the basics and as it is the unfortunate reality is that a course like that becomes a luxury to a guy like me.

I carry a .380 in my pocket at all times. I have 9mm in my car and at my bed side. Anyone who says a 9 isn't deadly obviously has never been shot. A .22 in the dome will kill you instantly. Plus a nine typically carries 15 to 17 rounds, whereas a .40 usually tops out at ten. I have a 30 round clip I will take to war against anything....

I think the reliability of the gun in particular is more important than the caliber.
I've owned two glocks that I found to be rather touchy; squeeze too hard, no bang....

Gunsite is the granddaddy of them all. I went there when Jeff Cooper was there, and it was fantastic. Randy Cain was one of my instructors there.

The P35 is marvelous; I have a soft spot in my heart for it. If I had to carry a nine, the Highpower would be it.

Keith

Proud to say that the Colonel's signature is on my 250 certificate. He rode me pretty hard about carrying a 9, but I shot the only perfect/clean target during the final day's school drills and was runner-up in the shoot-off :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back