Quantcast
Need to buy a set of knives as a present... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to buy a set of knives as a present...

If it were me in your shoes, I'd consider this in your decision
    http://www.sabatier-shop.com/kitchen...1110bloc2.html

Sab K set with block for 230€ or snoop around that site for other deals. I'd go Sab first - but everyone is a critic.
    Approach life and cooking with reckless abandon

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If it were me in your shoes, I'd consider this in your decision
    http://www.sabatier-shop.com/kitchen...1110bloc2.html

Sab K set with block for 230€ or snoop around that site for other deals. I'd go Sab first - but everyone is a critic.
    I too would prefer Sab's, just know nothing about their stainless quality...i have a few carbons that I love (mine are elephant nogents though)...have you used/sharpened them?

My first thought was buy a block and a couple of nice knives from JCK, then the other thought was the Sabs.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

If they have wall space to hang it, a mag strip migjht be a cheaper/ better alternative to a block and then you dont have to worry about future knives fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I too would prefer Sab's, just know nothing about their stainless quality...i have a few carbons that I love (mine are elephant nogents though)...have you used/sharpened them?
    I did both. The French stainless are not as exceptional as their carbons are. Amongst the stainless
    the K-Sabatier are with the best. Traditional look, good profile, slim geometry, nice F&F. Easy sharpening.The're still softer than even their German counterparts though. The French pro's and the general public both are used to steeling.
    Please note that Wüsthof recently decided to raise hardness to 58Rc and has adapted geometry accordingly.
    A choice between K-Sab and Wüsthof is something like between a Citroën DS and a BMW.

I've used my wife's sabs on many occasions.... and sharpened them. These knives don't scare her as much as my j-knives, have great profiles, sharpen up well, and are excellent performers - great value. You can even find some very old stock in Sab-K - something you wouldn't see every day.

+ Reply to Thread