I am so behind... But our trip to Bangkok back in March/April

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
The land elephants and humidity so intense that it fogs up my camera lenses. Where else could we be, but in Bangkok during the hottest time in the year? This March Ms. Kawano (the CEO of Korin), Vincent (the knife master’s apprentice), and I had the amazing opportunity to visit Thailand’s very first celebrity chef, Iron Chef Ian Kittichai.

(By the way... I don't support animal exploitation, but it was there.)

Chef Kittichai is the owner of the Spot Dessert Bar and Ember Room in New York City. "Chef Pongtawat “Ian” Chalermkittichai’s path to culinary success started from very humble beginnings in Bangkok. Every morning he would rise at 3 AM to accompany his mother to the wet market to select the best meats, seafood, and vegetables for her neighborhood grocery. While Ian was at school, she would cook a dozen different types of curries. Upon his return home, Ian would push a cart through the neighborhood to sell his wares, shouting: “Khao Geang Ron Ron Ma Leaw Jaar!” (Hot curry coming!)." - Taken from his website

Back when he lived in NY, he came to Korin very often. In fact he purchased yanagi knives so frequently, Mr. Sugai told Chef kittichai that he has too many knives and he doesn’t need anymore. We wondered if there were any knives he secretly purchased while Mr. Sugai wasn’t looking.

He graciously invited us to his home to meet his lovely wife and show us all of the products he has purchased from Korin. Other than his extensive knife collection that, he had case stocks of tableware that made me wonder if he planned to open a restaurant in his house.

When Chef Kittichai brought up the idea of opening a small section for Korin products, Ms. Kawano was so thrilled she immediately booked a flight to Thailand. Unfortunately, we were too early for the restaurant grand opening, but we were given a glimpse into the chef's creative mind for what is to come. The walls were beautifully painted with different classifications of meat cuts and there were tables that connected to a beer kegs for customers with a large group of people. Talk about a beer-fest. Of course you don't HAVE to drink the entire keg of beer, but you won't be refunded for whatever is left. Chef Kittichai jokingly said that if they leave stuff over, more for the staff after work. When you go upstairs, there is a kitchen to hold cooking classes and a room for Chef Kittichai to sell some of our knives. Despite all of these awesome idea in this large restaurant, what surprised me the most actually had nothing to do with the restaurant. The construction workers were camping around the restaurant with their families. They hung their laundry to dry, had tent propped up and children wandered around the construction area watching their fathers work. I have personally never seen such dedication or speed in New York.

He invited us to eat at his various restaurants in Bangkok as well as his favorite places to eat. It was absolutely fascinating how he found such innovative ways to use our products to fit the image of his restaurant. For example, he wrapped bamboo leaves around the konro grills, which gave it a completely different feel and hid the Japanese lettering.

Outside of Issaya Restaurant

Our konro grill wrapped in... banana leaves, I believe?

My fluffy clouds of happiness... Lychee, mangosteen and green apple marshmellow

All Together :)

We ate all of the best foods, toured around the city, discussed business out of sheer excitement, and at the end of the day we indulged ourselves even further with wonderful (and cheap) massages. Halfway through our trip, I noticed we were walking on the path to becoming Kobe beef.

Tourist adventures

Rose apple and melon apple

Street vendors

Happy sleepy stray dogs

Thai sweets!

More Thai sweets

More street vendors for real Thai food

Mr. Sugai apprentice and Thai Ronald McDonald doing the thank you pose LOL

The day I discovered that I don't like coconut... I wanted to like it though...

Weird...

My Thai ice cream sandwich

We had such a blast. Is there anyone from Thai or have been there?

Thank you for reading guys! :)

I went to Pattaya, have several friends who live there and Chiang Mai.

Wonderful place! Excellent food.

Eep sorry I didn't mean to make it sound markety.

Yea! It was awesome. Thanks for reading. :)

I actually have no idea. I was trying to find out but I couldn't read what it said and the person there didn't speak either Japanese or English. :(

I went to Pattaya, have several friends who live there and Chiang Mai.

Wonderful place! Excellent food.

Yes! It's so nice with such wonderful people too. But oh my goodness the food was so damn spicy, I was in tears... It was delicious so I kept eating. LOL

Eep sorry I didn't mean to make it sound markety.

Yea! It was awesome. Thanks for reading. :)

I actually have no idea. I was trying to find out but I couldn't read what it said and the person there didn't speak either Japanese or English. :(

Aw, they looked interesting!
Ever thought about going out of the box and visiting Sweden of all places? Get out of your comfort zone.
(Or well.. stereotypically it wouldn't be out of your comfort-box because we get loads of asian tourists, mostly japanese from what i understand)

Thanks for the pics Mari, that is definitely on my places to go (more than once). Sounds like Chef Kittichai would fit right in around here! Oh, and glad you had a great time!

Aw, they looked interesting!
Ever thought about going out of the box and visiting Sweden of all places? Get out of your comfort zone.
(Or well.. stereotypically it wouldn't be out of your comfort-box because we get loads of asian tourists, mostly japanese from what i understand)

Funny story, I think I am. LOL I'm being abducted by my mother to go on a cruise ship that tours around different countries. I just got home from being on it actually. My mother wanted me to meet chef Nobu, who was on the ship since his restaurant is on it. I'm still crazy jet lagged and melatonin is currently my best friend. I believe the cruise I'm getting on this August will stop by in Sweden for a day.

Even if it doesn't stop by Sweden, I still want to go someday. Definitely on my to go list! :)

Thanks for the pics Mari, that is definitely on my places to go (more than once). Sounds like Chef Kittichai would fit right in around here! Oh, and glad you had a great time!

Thanks!
Yes, definitely go to Bangkok. You can get a wonderful 2-3 hour long massage at a really nice spa for a mere $50! :)

Funny story, I think I am. LOL I'm being abducted by my mother to go on a cruise ship that tours around different countries. I just got home from being on it actually. My mother wanted me to meet chef Nobu, who was on the ship since his restaurant is on it. I'm still crazy jet lagged and melatonin is currently my best friend. I believe the cruise I'm getting on this August will stop by in Sweden for a day.

Even if it doesn't stop by Sweden, I still want to go someday. Definitely on my to go list! :)

Make sure to go in the summer when the polar-bears aren't roaming the streets!
Winter in sweden is horrible

If you're in sweden, stop by AG at Kungsholmen, for meat and tapas, lovely guys there.

For more Swedish food - go to Den Gyldene Freden in Gamla stan (old town)

Yes! It's so nice with such wonderful people too. But oh my goodness the food was so damn spicy, I was in tears... It was delicious so I kept eating. LOL

There is a Thai place in Corpus Christi that sells green curry just like what I got in Thailand. I go there when I am there on dates with my wife and order it as spicy as they want to make it. I just sweat and blow my nose and keep eating. It hurts, and I love every second of it--the flavor is just not the same unless you get through the spice!

I also brought back a glass-coated orchid for my mother. It was beautiful, Thailand has some amazing trinkets--very modern, but with a lot of appreciation for natural things.

Glad that you like my home town, although I don't live there now.

There is a Thai place in K.C. also (about 4 of them). I always got the Thai hot which made fun of Tabasco. Always crying and blowing nose and loving the flavor. Dam I miss that place. That is how Thai food is supposed to be from what I understand.

Mari thank you so much for your post's really enjoying them.

Mari thank you so much for your post's really enjoying them.

Oh thank you so much!! I was a little worried since this trip didn't have too much to do with knives, but I'm so happy people are enjoying it anyways! It gives me incentive to write more. :)

Amazing - I've tried taking more of a local leg in Bangkok, but this trip of yours seems to condense more than what I got out of 2-3 of mine!

I guess nothing beats travelling like travelling with a local chef. Especially if your priorities are skewed like mine. If I can do nos. 1-3, it is a good trip. 4-6 are add ons and afterthoughts. I can buy those postcards from anywhere. Or watch Nat Geo/Travel and living. Can still see the places, can't taste the food...

And I'm envious of your trip.

My priorities in travel:
1. High end Local Food, and great local takes on international food
2. Street food, and local markets
3. Local people and cultures and where they go
4. National Geographic esque places
5. Shopping malls
6. Touristy Spots

Latest posts

Back