Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Knives

It is also my understanding that factory made J knives have gone up in quality over the past 100 years while US knives have declined, remember " made in Japan " use to mean cheep and poorly made.

I can understand WWII having some influence. But still, there should be more in the light I think. Nothing 50 years old even? Even a large ocean of separation ignores the elements of immigration and in the past 10 years at least, the internet.

-AJ

they have a tendency to use up a knife in a few years and move on to the next one, you sharpen a knife every single day and beat the hell out of it and then move on. There literally isn't any knife left. I know a lot of chefs from Japan that do just that, every couple of years get new knives, chuck the old ones. That is not to say that they don't have knives that last a life time, but for many it is just a tool and when it has out lived it's usefulness, you get another one. Have you ever seen an old sushi knife many of them look like saw blades. The chef's we normally look at or watch are at the top of their game, they care and it shows in there tools. That's a rarity.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

If itosan18 is still keeping his videos up, Check out the size of his deba over the couple years he made videos, it get visably smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Over the years some of the reasoning that has surfaced about the general rareity of vintage Japanese kitchen knives, WW2 scrap drives. Japan was strapped for resources and anything that could be spared was melted down.
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    they have a tendency to use up a knife in a few years and move on to the next one, you sharpen a knife every single day and beat the hell out of it and then move on. There literally isn't any knife left. I know a lot of chefs from Japan that do just that, every couple of years get new knives, chuck the old ones. That is not to say that they don't have knives that last a life time, but for many it is just a tool and when it has out lived it's usefulness, you get another one. Have you ever seen an old sushi knife many of them look like saw blades. The chef's we normally look at or watch are at the top of their game, they care and it shows in there tools. That's a rarity.
    This pretty much sums it up. I asked some of the best antiques dealers on the island to find me old knives and they all told me exactly this.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter