Vintage Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhuff

Banned
Reaction score
We see vintage knives discussed, praised, reworked, sold etc. But we never see any vintage Japanese knives discussed, praised, reworked, sold, etc. Why is that?

-AJ

To be honest, I think they are just harder to find. Especially, since most people hear are in NA.

Cuz this is Uhmerca.

No really, we didn't used to have to leave the hemisphere to get a good cutting tool, so people bought Western.

Here is some things found at the flea market in Japan and a little about it.

the flea market Setagaya Boro-ichi (Setagaya Boro-ichi). Especially since this event is held twice a year for the first time - in December 15 th and 16 th, and the second time in January 15 th and 16 th. And the scale of the event is not any comparison with European counterparts. Flea Market in Japanese - is a whole area with a lot of streets are literally studded with all kinds of antique utensils, gastronomic delights and other attributes of this fair. According to statistics, the number of visitors per day ranges from 200,000 to 300,000 people. The history of this market is going to far in 1578, when Lord Udzhimasa Hojo (Ujimasa Hojo) established the first free market "cancer-ichi" in the area of ​​Setagaya.

Of course, there is no such abundance of knife shops in the area of ​​Kappa-bashi, or in the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo, but for the true nozhemana this place can be a real godsend. It is only here for the collapse of the old with some dolls you can find rare or antique Sheffield Nat Japanese knives. For fans of Japanese sharpening stones as it is generally a paradise on earth in all its manifestations

o3IsP.jpg
[/IMG]

dY1GE.jpg
[/IMG]

Just to add Kazan blade show 2010 from the same site sorry don't know the maker.
mHyR.jpg
[/IMG]

R6aNl.jpg
[/IMG]

Over the years some of the reasoning that has surfaced about the general rareity of vintage Japanese kitchen knives, WW2 scrap drives. Japan was strapped for resources and anything that could be spared was melted down.

Yes steeley, KKF field trip! Let me get a 2nd mortgage and see if my mom will fill out my permission slip. I'll bring the pb&j sandwiches in brown paper bags.

It is also my understanding that factory made J knives have gone up in quality over the past 100 years while US knives have declined, remember " made in Japan " use to mean cheep and poorly made.

I can understand WWII having some influence. But still, there should be more in the light I think. Nothing 50 years old even? Even a large ocean of separation ignores the elements of immigration and in the past 10 years at least, the internet.

-AJ

they have a tendency to use up a knife in a few years and move on to the next one, you sharpen a knife every single day and beat the hell out of it and then move on. There literally isn't any knife left. I know a lot of chefs from Japan that do just that, every couple of years get new knives, chuck the old ones. That is not to say that they don't have knives that last a life time, but for many it is just a tool and when it has out lived it's usefulness, you get another one. Have you ever seen an old sushi knife many of them look like saw blades. The chef's we normally look at or watch are at the top of their game, they care and it shows in there tools. That's a rarity.

If itosan18 is still keeping his videos up, Check out the size of his deba over the couple years he made videos, it get visably smaller.

Over the years some of the reasoning that has surfaced about the general rareity of vintage Japanese kitchen knives, WW2 scrap drives. Japan was strapped for resources and anything that could be spared was melted down.

they have a tendency to use up a knife in a few years and move on to the next one, you sharpen a knife every single day and beat the hell out of it and then move on. There literally isn't any knife left. I know a lot of chefs from Japan that do just that, every couple of years get new knives, chuck the old ones. That is not to say that they don't have knives that last a life time, but for many it is just a tool and when it has out lived it's usefulness, you get another one. Have you ever seen an old sushi knife many of them look like saw blades. The chef's we normally look at or watch are at the top of their game, they care and it shows in there tools. That's a rarity.

This pretty much sums it up. I asked some of the best antiques dealers on the island to find me old knives and they all told me exactly this.

Back