New gear arrived today

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birnando

Reaction score
So, I've been eagerly awaiting yet another parcel from Maksim, and today it arrived.

I've taken a couple shots with my phone, sorry about the quality of the images.
I can't wait to test this stuff out:)

What you are seeing is a Red Aoto, a Hakka Renge and a custom Yoshikane 270mm left-handed in carbon steel (white #2)

I'm looking forward to bringing it all back for the meet-up down in Denmark come the 25th.

Yoshi-rocks-4.jpg
[/IMG]

Yoshi-rocks-2.jpg

You have great taste in knives, that Yoshikane is simple yet elegant.

I so want to have a Yangi, but I know I will never use one for what it is made. Same with a deba. Altho I think I will buy a cheap one off of 330 mate to learn how to sharpen a single bevel. I think it was Onvid that did that great suggestion.

If you're not going to do fish, why not get a usuba if you want to play with single bevel? Everybody needs veggies!

Hmm I haven't thrown it out, just never hear much about usuba's around here. Will look into it further.

Where have you been when usuba posts came up? :sofa:

@birnado, coarse atagoyama aka-pin and hakka (suita?) will be a good synergy. I've got great result on single bevel knives with similar combo.

:spin chair::doublebanghead: I guess I never made the transition to them being a single bevel Nakari. It is sometimes confusing what is what. So I am gonna say :newhere::saythat::justkidding:

Now that I hijacked this thread Great looking Yangi, wish I had a purpose for one.

Hmm I haven't thrown it out, just never hear much about usuba's around here. Will look into it further.

Thanks for the comments guys:)

You know, I have started out with mostly double-bevel blades, but there are something with the single-bevels that really appeals to me, so my next purchases will be a Usuba and another Deba.

Most days being left-handed is ok, but in this sport.... not so much;)

Most days being left-handed is ok, but in this sport.... not so much;)

+1 from one lefty to another. Great looking yanagiba. I need one of those. Why did you choose Yoshikane?

Regards,

Mark

+1 from one lefty to another. Great looking yanagiba. I need one of those. Why did you choose Yoshikane?

Regards,

Mark

Well, for one thing a left-handed knife was no extra charge:)
Many places seem to charge an additional 50% to accommodate their smarter customers, so that made the choice easier for sure;)
In addition i wanted a Carbon knife.
Semi-stainless and stainless may be smashing stuff, but it is not for me.
The amount of time it took to have it made was also very impressive, all and all it took just a few weeks from ordering it to it actually arrived.

I started out looking at Shigefusa, but the wait seemed ridiculous, still, a Shigefusa is on my list as well!

There are so many fine Japanese makers out there, so I guess it could have been most any of the highly regarded ones really...

Thanks! Will definitely look into Yoshikane. I never understood the exorbitant upcharge for lefty versions. Glad to hear about this!

I figured it was about time to post a pic of my Japanese knives.
There are 3 or 4 more underway to me, some due shortly, others might be a bit longer;)

Anyways, here is the breakdown:

Moritaka Deba 180mm
Takeda Gyoto 210mm
Shigefusa Sujihiki 210mm
Takeda Wa-Petty 150mm
Yoshikane Yanagibe 270mm
Takeda Nakiri 180mm ( I love this knife, it's been my most used until the Kato arrived)
Kato Gyoto, Carbon steel 240mm

Not all that, but for an amateur home chef like me, I find they do the job:)
The ones I'm waiting for are:
Shigefusa Cleaver
Yoshikane Usuba and Deba.
There are just two more in the making, but I'll await the showing of those until they are made;)

Nice expense.:D glad you got a 240mm recently. I like the Nakiri.

Nice setup! How do you like your Yoshikane yanagi?

Thank you!
I like that knife a lot.
It took a while to get used to, as it is my very first single bevel.
I use it a couple times a week to cut up nice pieces of fish for our family dinners, and the cuts are amazingly clean and easily executed:)

Nice little group you have there.

Can't wait to see your Shigefusa cleaver! I've only ever seen/heard of one, and it was here: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/1520-Shigefusa-Cleaver

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, that link inspired me to get one of my own:)
As soon as I have had the chance to play around with it for a bit, I will most definitely share my findings, whatever they may be.

what happened to your deba up there?

Good eye man.
That was my first Japanese knife, and it was used as a practice tool for my freehand sharpening.
Apparently, my skills needed some honing;)
I'm gonna have to bring that back to looking half decent one of these days.
Still, it was educational, and I do hope I learnt from it..

nice setup :) and the waiting list looks great to :D

i can only agree with the Yoshiaki Fujiwara (kato), super knife in a pro kitchen, i use mine 210mm Gyuto and petty, everyday, stays sharp long time.

Now for your modest setup of Jnats :hungry::whistling:

This is a huge setup for a home user

Even for someone who really likes cooking, like you.

But its good... :D

Very nice knives B.
BTW ive seen that deba at the gathering and it didt look that nasty?

A nice batch of cutlery!

Thank you:)
I do enjoy these tools a lot and find that my time spent cooking feels even more satisfying than before.

This is a huge setup for a home user

Even for someone who really likes cooking, like you.

But its good... :D

Very nice knives B.
BTW ive seen that deba at the gathering and it didt look that nasty?

Thanks mate:)

Oh, the bevel and Kurouchi line was a tad off to say the least.
It works, and rather well at that, but I do think I have been able to clean it up a bit now.
The fingerstones I got from Maksim sure was a nice addition to really get that final touch on my knives!

Here's a few more I have just received.

One is a Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Kato, this one is a 180 Petty. Hopefully this will deliver as well as my Gyoto in the same brand.

The second and third are Yoshikane.
One Usuba and one Deba, both left handed single bevels, I went this way because I really enjoy my Yanagi from this maker, and now the Yoshi-kit is complete so to speak:)

Yoshi-kato-2.jpg

Yoshi-kato-1.jpg

Back