Quantcast
How to assess a deba
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to assess a deba

Smile How to assess a deba

I know a lot of people discourage against buying cheap debas, but I've been considering getting one of those 100 dollar Tadafusas as a quick fix to practice on. Is there a chance that I could get a good one? I could look at a bunch of them in person, but I'm not sure what to look for. Anyone have any suggestions as to what issues to look for or any tips for how to spot warping and other issues?

Are there other potential issues that could come up later with a cheaper deba? I mean issues which show up even on one that looks good at first.

BTW, I don't know what that little smiley in the thread title is about. Weird things happen when you post from your phone.

I think for me the most important thing is to check if the blade is straight. Just site down the blade and check if the knife is straight. If its not straight you will never get a even sharp edge on your knife. Also another sign to check for is if there is any dips or sort of holes running along the blades profile. At that price point you should be able to find something half decent. Fit and finish might be a little off. But hey you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I know a lot of people discourage against buying cheap debas, but I've been considering getting one of those 100 dollar Tadafusas as a quick fix to practice on. Is there a chance that I could get a good one? I could look at a bunch of them in person, but I'm not sure what to look for. Anyone have any suggestions as to what issues to look for or any tips for how to spot warping and other issues?

Are there other potential issues that could come up later with a cheaper deba? I mean issues which show up even on one that looks good at first.

Put the back of the blade on a flat surface, it should touch the flat surface along the entire edge. Check bevel for any high and low spots.

What they say, and perhaps look for even ura grind if you understand what it supposes to be. One way to check is to find a strong light source and look for evenness of the curve back with the reflection you see along ura grind.

You mean to check that the ura is evenly concaved? A dip or overgrind would be a distortion in the reflection, right?

right on

Well I have been sharpening few new debas and even the ones expensive part of the spectrum does not have flat back when new.
    The tip on each was bent to inside a little bit. My guess is that it is made for purpose for you to get nice "back bevels" meeting point at the tip for extra strength - bigger flat area.

And if you want to spend 100, It wont be perfect. Maybe not even nice but you want learning knife so it doesnt need to be pretty in terms of grind i guess?
    I think even if its not so straight, you can get good sharpness out of it.

Did you somehow fix the issues with the tips?

flattened it - or ground the tip until it met the rest of the back. I will try to make a photo, I have another deba new to do now. Ill try to do it tonight - i face double shift now.

I dont think its an issue...

+ Reply to Thread