Media Murray Carter Forging a Japanese Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this video. There are a couple things I'm wishy-washy of, but damn, his execution is incredible. I really like how thorough he was.

Just curious what are you wishy - washy about?
Love this video. There are a couple things I'm wishy-washy of, but damn, his execution is incredible. I really like how thorough he was.

Just curious what are you wishy - washy about?

Kind of insignificant things that don't matter really.

He says molecules, but rather the structure of metal is crystalline. Also, I wonder about the grain-refinement during his cold forging - I'm curious to how the softer steel grains are worked compared to the hard steel.

I'd also like to know how hes straightening a hardened blade; he makes it look effortless.

You could argue he's the best out there. Of course, there are others, but he's up there, for sure.
On a side note, I'm pumped because I finally have a way to store my Carter suji in a convenient location. The answer? A Wusthof drawer "block", like I think it was TK gave away.
Man am I excited to use that beauty even more!

Awesome video, really like the final product as well! Thanks for posting

Mike

Interesting.

Again what he calls snakewood looks more like lacewood. And he makes the same type of handle shown in a thread here recently, where he cuts out a spacer to accommodate the tang rather than hollow out the handle material.

Back